Private Pond Cats

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by jaredtexasrebel, Apr 1, 2009.

1. jaredtexasrebel

jaredtexasrebel New Member

State:
    S.E. Texas
    I've been fishing a private pond that used to be an old sand pit for the past 3 weekends. My dads company bought it as a reserve water supply about 2 years ago. I've only been using nightcrawlers and have only caught bluegills and bass. How do I know if there are catfish in this pond. It is of pretty good size and some parts pretty deep. The water is very clear with baitfish abundant. What should I use to catch some catfish, I thought about using chicken livers. Thanks.

2. Dirtdobber

Dirtdobber Guest Staff Member

State:
    Vian Okla
    Use the chicken liver or catch some of the bait fish and cut it up for bait.

Welcome to the BOC

3. GrandpaGoneFishing

GrandpaGoneFishing New Member

State:
    Linn Valley, Ks
    Can't add much to that. Might toss in a little BJ or some dip bait. But the old Night Crawlers will Catch them Cats too.

4. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Yep, try some them baitfish chunks like suggested. dip or some punch bait like Danny kings. Shrimp and clams would be the next baits on the list. Even a live small gill size of a credit card may draw soem nice takers:wink:

And welcome to the BOC:wink:

5. jaredtexasrebel

State:
    S.E. Texas
    thanks for all the quick replies, I was unsure there were even catfish in there. I will try the suggestions before I end my quest for catfish in this spot.

6. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good luck Jared. Let us know what happens. Look forward to your report:wink:

7. jaredtexasrebel

State:
    S.E. Texas
    I sure will!

8. atvracer

atvracer Member

State:
    IN-47501
    Are you fihing with bait suspended above the bottom? If so try fishing on the bottom if you are trying to catch catfish.

9. jaredtexasrebel

State:
    S.E. Texas
    Yes I make a carolina type rig and was fishing with nightcrawlers. The green nitro ones.

10. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id try some shrimp,and id keep those bluegills and cut them up and use those.If theres cats and bluegill in there together you can bet those cats are feeding on them.

11. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    Good post James I agree:wink: