Private parties purchasing sections of Wyoming rivers

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by Missouribreaks, Aug 4, 2007.

1. Missouribreaks

Missouribreaks New Member

State:
    missouri
    Just heard a deal where the state of Wyoming is allowing Private parties to purchase sections of rivers and trout streams. One is a Country club/ golf course group that has purchased a section of trout stream. To fish these waters, you have to join thier club for $80,000 plus $12,000 a year dues. they interviewed an old feller who's fished that section for 48 years, and now he's not allowed to step foot there???????
    Alright, I know, I know, what's this have to do with missouri rivers and streams? Well, nothing yet as I know of, and maybe never will, but keep your radar up as will I. This stinks to high heaven!! I think it's only a matter of time.

2. jeffw51

jeffw51 New Member

State:
    mo
    man that sounds crooked as hell!thats what i love about the river its totally free.private ownership of the rivers would ruin everything.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    Thats not right!
    Bill

4. Ol Man

Ol Man New Member

State:
    Illinois
    This may make interesting reading... looks like the Feds have something to say about it...

5. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Chill guy's they can buy the land and stop folk's from fishing on the banks of that area of the river. However they can NOT stop you from fishing the river if your on the water. Weather your wadding or in a boat it don't matter as long as your on the water they CAN'T stop you from fishing.

We have some rich SOB's here that tried that crap with us. One old guy said if we didn't move down the river he was gonna shoot us. I told him off! and I told him right then - if you point a gun towards us I'll put a bullet between your eyes. Later that day we seen the Fl Fish & Game officer and I told him about what went on. He told us they can NOT stop us from fishing the water ways as long as we didn't step foot on their land and said they would go have a talk with the old guy. I asked him what if he takes a shot at us the Officer said use the laws of this state to keep yourselfs safe and then give us a call. In other words if he takes a shot as us we have the right to light his @ss up. Little did the Rich SOB know he was running his mouth to someone that had a 30/06 right beside them.

This has happened to us a few different times with different ppl that move down here and think they can run us out of the places we have fished all our lives. Another guy told us he would shoot us once also well we told him off and kept fishing. Then a few days later he started running his mouth again,so my cuz started casting lures at him and really pee him off. Now everytime my cuz goes by there he makes it a point to cast up & down this area "even on days he's not casting for bass" casting to the banks with evrey cast just to pee the guy off.

6. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    The banks of the rivers of Missouri are already mostly privately owned. The public portion of a navigable stream is from the normal high water mark to the opposing high water mark. NORMAL not flood stage. The points of contention are usually what is navigable or not and what is legal access. These decisions are handled on a county level. In Missouri you have to have the owner's permission to cross his land legally whether it is posted or not.

7. Hootowlc3

Hootowlc3 New Member

State:
    Florida
    There is a lake like that over in Orlando. The people that live around the lake try to keep anyone from the public from fishing.
    There is one public boat ramp, unimproved. You have to launch your boat drive about 100 yards to park. The parking is also unimproved. Shack the basketball player owns a huge house on the lake.
    The home owners are constantly trying to buy the small area to keep people from launching.

8. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    The doesnt suprise me in Wyoming!!! Millions of acres of public land but it is blocked by private land. Guys buy up miles of land along road then refuse to let any cross to get to public land. We pay taxes so they can buy it up then no one but the fat cats can use it. :cool2:

9. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    Sounds like a good place to hold ACAT meetings. Maybe you should get with Walter and set up a few on that lake. LOL

10. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

The state has to give the public a right away to public lands. Call your Fish & Game office and they can tell you where the right aways are in any given area of the rivers or lakes.

11. Missouribreaks

State:
    missouri
    The way I interpreted what I saw and heard was that no one is allowed in that section of the stream Period. They purchased an actual section of the stream. I'm familiar with people owning the banks of waterways, but this is different than that. THEY OWN THE STREAM. Now you know why i'm upset over the rammifications this might have on public waterways.

12. Missouribreaks

State:
    missouri
    I understand what you're saying, but i'm talking about an actual setion of stream they own, not just the banks.

13. Missouribreaks

State:
    missouri
    Ok, I also found the arcticle in Feild and stream 2007 "The Stream grabbers"

14. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

They can buy the land on both sides,but they can NOT own the water ways of a flowing stream,creek or river in the U.S. NO matter what they say the public has a right to the water ways in ever state.

15. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.

If I lived out there I'd fish it and dare them to try and stop me,because NO matter what they think the public has a right to the water ways.

16. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    You would have to know the laws of Wyoming to determine legality. In Missouri non-navigable portions of streams are NOT public property.

17. Swampy

Swampy New Member

State:
    Fl.
    In a cases such as this you go by fed laws,witch over rides state laws in ever case. If you think I'm joking about the fed laws over riding state laws just ask the pot farmers in Cal. LOL Just because a state inacts a law does not make it so,if there is already a fed law on the books the fed law will over ride the state in ever case. I'm not trying to get any of you upset about this whole deal,just stating facts about the law of this country. Not even the states can block flowing water ways,Ga tried to do that once and it didn't fly.

18. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Most states allow you to float non navigable waters. The moment you have to step out of the boat you are tresspassing. The land owners own the stream bed not the state or federal government

Swampy. Read up on Riapary law in the state of Florida or Missouri. Its easy to understand and straight to the point on who owns what, who has rights and who dont, and what the uses are. I think you'll find that if the water is listed as non navigable the stream bed or river bed is going to be in private ownership and that ownership also includes a water and mineral rights.

19. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Federal law can supercede state law in some cases. In this case states have based their riapary laws on the federal laws and definitions of what is navigable and non navigable waters.
    In other words the state laws are going to mimic federal law in just about all cases even though a state like Washington state wasnt a state during the inception of the federal laws making. There have been provisions made for those states to fall in line and they have.

20. Vince Copple

Vince Copple New Member

State:
    Missouri
    This is not right.. We have the same law here in MO Mark..