Prison paddlefish

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by ozzyso44, Feb 5, 2009.

1. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri
    http://www.fox2now.com/news/sns-ap-mo--paddlefisheggs-sentence,0,2022783.story ( http://www.fox2now.com/news/sns-ap-mo--paddlefisheggs-sentence,0,2022783.story )

Man gets 1-year prison term for pilfering paddlefish eggs for caviar

By Associated Press
    3:49 PM CST, February 4, 2009

SPRINGFIELD, Mo. (AP) — A former Shell Knob man has been sentenced to one year in prison for catching paddlefish in illegal nets at Table Rock Lake, harvesting the eggs and selling the caviar in Tennessee.

Thomas Jerry Nix, Jr., 39, now of Memphis, Tenn., was sentenced Monday to one year and one day in federal prison without parole. The court also ordered Nix to pay about $30,000 in restitution to the Missouri Department of Conservation.

Nix also has to forfeit to the government a 20-foot boat and other equipment used in the offense.

Nix pleaded guilty earlier to participating in the conspiracy to engage in illegal commercial fishing from December 2007 to Feb. 17, 2008.

2. ozzyso44

ozzyso44 New Member

State:
    Smithville, Missouri

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    OUCH! They sure made an example outta him.:smile2:
    You mess with the bull, you get the horns.
    Last year there was a Federal investigation of the Russian Mafia in Ok beause they were snagging spoonbills and taking the eggs, leaving the carcasses behind. I dont remember hearing anything else.
    The roe is big money. Still not worth it though.:smile2:

4. Todd Strong

Todd Strong Active Member

State:
    Cambridge, Ne
    Thanks for sharing, I haven't heard anything of this. Justice was served and I don't even like fish eggs.

5. pitbull33

pitbull33 New Member

State:
    missouri
    its jerks like him that is the reason we cant use them for catfish bait anymore.