"Primitive" weapons

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Switchback XT, Nov 25, 2006.

1. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Does anyone think muzzelloaders ain't even primitive anymore? These things should be in the rifle season. Also in Mississippi you can hunt with anything that is single shot and larger than .40 caliber. I hunt a lot of public land and I'm here to say that crap aint cuttin it. In my oppinion most public lands should be bow only and very limited muzzelloader, what ya'll think?

2. IL Hunter

IL Hunter New Member

State:
    Normal, IL
    There are indeed some muzzeloaders that are reaching out a pretty good distance these days, but some people still use actual primative types. The single shot over .40 cal doesnt make much sense...is a 500S&W primitive?

3. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    I agree with you on this Hank

4. riverratmatt

riverratmatt New Member

State:
    ky, totz
    the in-lines are basicy singal shot rifels. muzzle loading should be restriced to side locks using cap and round balls

5. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm guessing when you say anything over 40 cal. you're still referring to single shots loaded from the muzzle. That would be to keep a fella from using his squirrel gun. Yes I think there are some who would try.
    I think the real benefit to the newer designs is just regards ignition. An ole hand can still reload as fast as someone using a straight line. And better ballistics means more humane kills.
    And bows only you say. When I bow hunted there was no such thing as a compound bow. Now you can even scope you're compound bow and not even release with your fingers. Or scope you're crossbow and not even strain cocking it. Public lands are yer tax dollars at work. As far as the rules, I don't see all that many fellas paying any attention to the rules on the books already. I wish I'd see one of you "old school" black powder shooters at 10 degrees wearing nothing but buckskins and mocossins. But so far all I've seen is a hawken, with saran wrap over the caplock, wearing the same clothes the rest of us wear, and 10 power binocs. Jump out of a tree half naked with a homemade knife between yer teeth and take one down if you want to. Please post some pictures, I'd love to see & I promise to "eat crow". If there is any methodology to how the states come up with all the rules darn if I can figure it out. Seems to be Bureacrats in action. And not enough enforcement officers to keep things in line. Sorry to be so wordy, the voices in my head wouldn't shut up.
    :lol:

6. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    In the state of Mississippi if I wanted to I could use my 1878 trapdoor 45/70 during muzzleloader season. Any single shot original or reproduction that was loaded for for the old black powder cartridges is legal...but the ruger # 1 and other modern version single shots are not legal to use.

I like Pennsylvania's thought about primitive weapons...flintlock full Kentucky/Pennsylvania style rifles...no hawkin style guns and deffinately no in-lines.

Unless they have changed the law in the last several years no compound bows either.

Jesse

7. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I've been hunting with a muzzleloder in Mississippi longer than the state has had a muzzleloader season and yes I have an in line Knight 50 cal but that ain't primitive hunting cause a scoped inline is like using a 3006.I never hunted with my Knight inline but I did kill a buck with it and it was a 1 shot kill in my front yard.I think you should have to use the old type rifles with all their problems so it would be true primitive hunting!!!:hell_boy:

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Well i think the primative refers to the fact that they are muzzle-loaders not the accuracy and as for single shots i would like to see [black-powder cartridge] in the primitive hunts

9. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    In Indiana they just call it Muzzleloading season. Gosh every state is different. I'm for any thing that will promote hunting. And for anything that will help me understand the rules. The IN hunting guide is 56 pages long. I wish the sportsmen had more imput into what's happening. If IN had a "primitive hunt" that would just be for flintlock & longbow I'd be all for it. The money supposedly goes to wildlife programs, but I suspect that most of it ends up in bureacrat's salarys....
    :roll_eyes:

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Sorry,but I disagree with the original post....sounds like elitism to me....maybe go back to throwing a spear?

The advance of in-lines just makes for a more efficient,humane hunt.

11. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I am all for game management. VA has gone to allowing sabots and scopes during muzzle loader. Sure its approaching modern type rifles but the Game Commission goal is to keep the deer herd healthy and in balance and also provide the maximum number of hunter opportunity days. I'm glad VA approved crossbows two years ago. If somebody wants to go Flint Lock, have at it. I'll stick to hunting with inlines with scopes.

12. catfishrus

catfishrus New Member

State:
    north carolina
    well to me anything with less than five shells in it, is still primitive. look at the bows they are no long primitive either. been just as many advances on them as modern muzzleloaders. here the bow hunters get a 2 month head start on the rest and the muzzle loader only get 7 days and the the rifle hunters get to hunt until the first of jan. as for the public lands i think it should be opened up to just hunting anyway a man decided he wants to hunt. season starts here and ends here so go get them however you want bow, muzzle loader or rifle.

13. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    If your going to be a "primitive" hunter I would think you would have to make your own weapon, not buy a plastic new age bow. JMHO Also since people are wanting the primitive experience I would think they'd like to plunge themselves in all the way in being primitive. Ride a horse or walk to your land, no electricity, no GPS, and you must be able to make your weapon with nothing but your hands to be truly primitive. So who is a "primitive, real" hunter???:crazy:

14. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    I can see where some of ya'll are coming from, but look at in this situation. On public ground you have the need for serious restrictions if you want to produce quality deer, so most have taken away their rifle seasons. But they still have a lot of muzzelloading going on, and this is fine for a few days, but enough of it can seriously damage the herd. With a rifle and most of the time with a muzzelloader all you basically have to do is see the animal and its dead (basically). With a bow it takes a lot more work and a lot more see and a lot less shooting. I'm not saying a modern compound is primitive but it is MUCH less effective than either of the above. With more bow only public lands people could basically be allowed to shoot almost anything and let more people hunt, which would produce more revenue for the state WMA system. The reason that they can be handed a bow and say good luck is because bow hunters just cannot do enough damage to the herd. Buck numbers and buck quality will immediatly go up. Now, who wants to argue that case to the state wildlife commission with me? (This was all based on public land, not leases or deer camps)

15. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    You need to come on down to New Mexico next fall and "try to get a legal buck with a muzzle loader " i believe you just might change your thoughts a little

16. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Yea, I guess I would, ya'll got a lot of open country out there don't ya'll. Well my theory can't apply to everyone in every state I can just cover some of the South.

17. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yeah and it aint easy as pie stuff its hard to get within riflerange much less 1-200 yards for a muzzleloader so it aint like....point and its dead

18. Switchback XT

Switchback XT New Member

State:
    MS
    Well you got a point, I was just saying around here, unless your on a field or something like that, its see it shoot it.

19. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Also on your public land opinion here we used to be able to hunt deer or elk during any open season but now some jerk decided that the state owned land should be open to only hunters drawn in a lottery so that closed a ton of my old favorite hunting spots damn burocrats anyway

20. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    There is a big differance in PRIMITIVE WEAPONS SEASON and MUZZLELOADING SEASON !!!

Regular Muzzleloading season should be open for all flint or cap lock guns.

Primitive Weapons season should be just that...no in-lines; compounds; scopes; or cartridge guns.

There is no reason why there can't be different seasons for the different types of weapons. There is already archery; muzzleloading; and guns season is almost every state.

The big problem is that most people now want the game to come to them instead of them having to learn woodscrafts to outwit the game.

So many people now are actually just weekend warriors that won't take the time to learn what our ancestors had to know to survive day to day.

City life and modern coveniences have made us so different from generations gone by. I remember my grandfather and great uncles plowing with mules and hand plow and the land being full of rabbits, quail, squirrles, and other small game. Now with the use of pestisides and modern farming there is no more hedgrows or large blackberry areas on farms. Now instead of most people hunting small game they are hunting for big game. Most think deer hunting is like going squirrel hunting. They don't do anything but buy a gun, go to the woods and pick out a spot and wait for the deer to come by. lol
    Yes there are a lot that do know what it really takes to harvest game but fewer than there should be. How many of you have heard....there goes another one from the city.

I hear it all in my HUNTER SAFETY CLASSES. People just don't want to do any more than is required to get what they want. The law is stretched to the limit and broken a lot for the sake of one's ego...THE GREAT HUNTER.

Just about anyone can take a deer with modern weapons...try a challenge with PRIMITIVE once and see what ya bring home.

Jesse