Primitive Camping

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by TxRiverman, Jul 14, 2006.

1. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    When i go fishing it usually involves a two day canoe trip down the river. Does anybody here camp like this?

2. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Aaron,

I envy you. My trips usually involve logistical planning on the scale of a full on assault. I have family and close friends that love to fish and would hate me if I left them out so I end up never getting a chance to camp/fish like that. I love the companionship and sharing, but sometimes I would love to launch a small craft and float to secluision every once and a while. Good on you...your a true fisherman in my book.

3. Deltalover

Deltalover New Member

State:
    Tracy Calif
    I sure would like too! It's always been a dream to do that in British Columbia, waterways!

4. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Used to do it that way way back when ,but don't think my ol body would let me do it now. Sometimes I wish I had a small tent just so I could do that sort of thing again. I'd have to do it by myself,wife would never go for that. Can't get her out of airconditioning long enough to do something like that. Heat never has really bothered me a lot(so far anyway.) Like to try a tent again (but don't know about the back.)It would probably protest. Glad that you can enjoy doing that sort of thing.:cool2:

5. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    I dont use a tent,i use a hammock. Its alot easier on the back,and its easier to pack.

6. dcaruthers

dcaruthers New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Now that's an outdoorsman. Do you set the hammock up close enough to reach the rod holders? lol.

7. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    No. I usually set up camp up in the treeline,it makes for a more secure camp that way,and it allows access to the river for the deer and hogs,and other wildlife.

8. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Just did an overnight canoe/catfishing trip with wife 2 weeks ago. She sleeps/i fish. lol

9. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i like to fish and camp but about as primitive as it gets is in my popup with the AC on

10. TxRiverman

TxRiverman New Member

State:
    Lockhart Tx
    :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

11. samh

samh New Member

State:
    Damascus,Arkansas
    I'm with PeZ on this one.

12. FishMan

FishMan New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Like you say, it really hurts, I had not camped since my stroke in 1992 so I purshased everything needed and away I went, camping in a tent, It was our gathering last month and man did I enjoy myself but I learned That kind of camping is to hard on this guy.....LOL.....I paid for a week when I got home.
    My trip did have a up side, I discovered the BOC is much more that a forum.
    I am now thinking of a camper, I believe a pop up since I could pull it with my van and not hurt the gas mileage to bad

13. griz

griz Well-Known Member

State:
    Murray Ky.
    My wife and I primitive camp most of the times we go. One thing we found out as we get older is a good elevated air mattress is well worth the money. We tried a regular air mattress but it was still hard for me to get up out of in the morning, the elevated one we got is about 20 inched tall and makes a big difference when getting out of it.

14. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    i DO IT DOWN THE DELAWARE EVERY YEAR FOR 4 DAYS SMALLMOUTH FISHING

15. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    CAPS WAS STUCK still was

16. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Yes, Aaron, I like primitive camping. Never canoed before, however. We just get some people together, load the gear into our boats, and take off for a secluded island in the middle of the lake. Doesn't matter if it's two people or ten, fun either way. And my dogs love doing this too! Gives them a chance to be let loose; romp and play for a few days. Makes me want to go right now, uh, no, wait a minute.....I went this time in July before; TOO HOT, at least in the daytime. Sure is nice when those stars come out though!:wink:

17. micus

micus New Member

State:
    Lake St. L
    For many years I would float into my camp, then float out at the end of the stay. Now I just provide shuttle service for the younger crew. Now I sleep in the back of my Blazer. Can't take the ground anymore. That ended years ago when I dislocated my shoulder. :cool2:

18. countrygirl0569

countrygirl0569 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I wish! lol, that sounds like the best way to do it!

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I used to do it on the Brazos River in Texas, total trip 50 miles in the canoe all down river. Another use for buckets dry storage when canoeing and a quick float if you tump.

20. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Aaron,I did that many times when I was younger.We would head out in the boat with a piece of plastic to sleep on at night and be gone 2 or 3 days...