Priming My Mercury

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by glenmorebuckman, Mar 25, 2007.

1. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    My 35 horse Mercury seems to be losing it's prime. When it sets for 20-30 minutes after running, It won't restart unless I hit the priming bulb 2-3 times. I have no fuel leaks and the fuel bulb is brand new. Could this be a bad float in the carb. causing this? My brothers Merc. starts right up after setting an hour without re-priming. I've also noticed if you pump it to much it floods.

2. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Billy that might be the pump causeing that. What year is that merc and has it got a VRO.

3. glenmorebuckman

glenmorebuckman New Member

State:
    Caneyville, Ken
    It's a '69 Merc 350, Bubbkat. I put a new diaphragm in the fuel pump last year but it still does it. It seems to me it would have to be in the fuel pump or the lines but all the lines are new.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    Look in the tank where the line hooks up and see if it has a check valve built into it. Or maybe the float in the carb is draining all the fuel into the motor before restart. Some times a bad coil will act like that. The next time you get a chance fire it up at night with the hood off and see if its jumping fire any where,