Primers

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by canebreaker, Jul 14, 2009.

1. canebreaker

canebreaker Well-Known Member

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Widener's.com
    has Wolf primers in stock.
    Just ordered my 5 cases.

2. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Have you used the wolf primers before? Ive always heard their ammo was more corrosive and figured their primers would be too. I could use a few cases of small pistol primers myself.

3. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Primers showing up here in VA in all flavors but stores are limiting to 1,000 per type per day. In three months they will have so many they are giving them away. At least that is what the store owner told me. In the last month I have bought CCI, Federal, and Winchester Primers.

4. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I checked the reloaders bench yesterday. They are getting a few cases of primers in to stock. 39.99 per carton of 1,000, limit 2 cartons, with tax, that's .0468 each.
    The wolf primers are costing my .0306 each. Saving over a cent and a half per shot.

I'm on my 3rd case of 5,000 of wolf primers, about 13,500 shots. Guns are cleaned as soon as we return home from shooting about 300 to 400 each.
    Haven't seen any signs of corrosion.

I've heard that all primers have a different powder in them that makes them corrosive more than the gun powder. Import ammo has a different power than what we have in usa. A different reaction with steel cases.
    Just take the time to clean your guns a bit better.

About 25 years ago I looked at a semi .22 rifle in a pawn shop for 25.00. The barrel was heaveyly pitted. I would of bet that when the barrel was bored out it would have been about .27. Probably never cleaned.

5. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Ordered primers on the 14th and get them on the 16th, that's fast.
    I paid the state tax and had them shipped to nashville instead of southaven, since I'm not home that much. Hate for a package to sit on doorstep for a week, or if someone didn't borrow it while not there.

6. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Rechecked my lee manuals and they suggest certain primers for their prime tool. Went to a gun show last weekend and they had winchester large rifle and large pistol primers, $40-60 depending on vendor. Not a small pistol primer to be found. I just rechecked my supplies and Im ok for now. Ive got winchester primers of 1k of large rifle, 350 large pistol and 1k small pistol!!!!!!
    Ive got a hundred or so 44mag loads and enough to load up some hunting loads when its time!!! Though Im still looking to stock up!

BTW i bought some once fired tumbled brass from the reloaders bench a couple months back at the gun show. Looking forward to reloading for my 9mm, got burnt buying some xtp hp for the 9 though.:sad2::smile2:

7. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Flutterby and I have made 2 gun shows.
    We find nothing we can use. Used guns are way over priced.
    Or worn out junk, still over priced.
    entry fee 6 to 10 each
    So we stopped going.

The last gun show I went to, about 15 years ago, I had a free pass.
    I bought a bullet puller for the same price that midway wanted.
    Add sales tax, no shipping.

8. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Lee is going to tell you what they want to tell you about loads and primers.
    Same as everyother company.
    I know of someone that will only load nickle brass and winchester primers.
    He won't order online so he doesn't have to pay the hazmat charge. He told me, he paid $65.00 per 1,000 + tax for primers at the last gun show.
    So do some math, $65.00 plus 0.0975 for tax, plus the 10.00 for the show.

I bought a case of 5,000 for $128.00, they shoot fine for what I need, target practice.

9. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Ill follow the directions that came with my lee primer. They only recommend winchester and cci primers to be used in their priming tool. Not a thing about loads, they just recommend using those two. Thats good enough for me. What priming tool are you using?

10. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    The Lee auto primer that came with my ann. kit.

I had a problem with my C frame press yesterday.
    I've wiped the plunger clean in the past and applied new grease. Then wipe it clean again. I've never cleaned the hole where the primers go. So about 100 cases into decapping 1,000 rounds, the primers began to clog. I'm guessing, never cleaning the hole, the grease and burnt powder from the primers had a bit of a build up. I removed the plunger from the press, clean it in a solvent, had flutterby hold it on a towel while I used a brass punch and hammer to clear the hole. I didn't want to use a vise, afraid I'd scare it with the jaws. Finished decapping while watching the cup race. Use a Q-tip to clean this hole after you finish decapping a number of cases so you won't have this problem.

11. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    I guess we are all quilty of this:

Your gm product calls for gm/ac delco products.
    Your ford product calls for ford products.

Comsumer report says Fram oil and air filters are the best.
    Made by the Allied Corp. They make ac/delco and ford filters too.
    So what filters do you use?

Comsumer report says Pennzoil (yellow bottle) is the best. Quaker state is way down the list. It's not on your gm or ford product list. So what do you use?

Comsumer report says Walmart, great value crunky peanut butter, kroger creamy peanut butter are number one in taste test. There's a lot of jif and peter pan being sold. I grew up on big cheif peanut butter, it's not real stuff.

Read in your owners manual for your guns. Mine says "not to fire reloads", but that's all that's ever been shot in it. "Dismantle your gun completely after every 400 rounds for a complete cleaning." About 20,000 rounds before I did that, didn't read the manual.

Federal, Mag-tech, Remington, Wolf and a few others aren't USA products. My Lee C frame has "Made in USA" on the bottom, bought in 1994. My Lee reloader press has "made in china" on the bottom, bought in 2005.

The feds just bailed out the auto industies, now they are bailing out the banks. They made a few bad loans, since a lot of jobs are being lost. Homes are being lost.
    Who's going to bail you and I out?

12. derbycitycatman

State:
    Kentucky
    Name:
    your first name
    Luckily I can only find winchester primers so no tough decisions so far. When your car or truck calls for 5w30 do you use 10w30 or 40? :smile2: lol

The best deals if you can call them that at gun shows around here are usually on new guns. I paid less new for my keltec p11 and my ruger mark3 22/45 than what folks were wanting for a used one. Then you get to laugh at them when they whine they cant sell anything. Ive been noticing more folks at the reloading vendors. We even found some 380 dies. When asked one guy said he gets $100+ for them , I couldnt help but laugh in his face. Went two aisles over and bought them for $35.

13. canebreaker

State:
    Southaven,MS
    Guilty!

I use 5w30 as it calls for. I use the orange fram filter and the yellow pennzoil.
    Not what the gmc calls for.

I tell one of flutterby's bosses that I can get him .380s for $25. to $35 a box.
    He says he won't pay that much for them, he can get them cheaper.
    Good luck finding them. Walmart has them for $17 a box, if they have them instock. I asked if he saved his brass? I don't have time to pick up brass.
    I know he shoots at an outdoor range, must be a nasty place. Leaving your brass for the next fellow to roll on.
    The range we use, calls "cold line" and in a few lines later, "pick up your cases around you. Place brass in yellow buckets, steel in blue buckets and alum in white buckets."
    Notify the range master when you enter lanes that you save your brass and have a container for it. If you use their bucket, it's their brass. Can't offer to collect or buy brass from others. This is how they make money for lunches and other items needed at the range.
    I'm starting Friday as an officer.
    They are starting to dig out the lines to collect the spent bullets. Oh Boy, bullet making time.