Primer bulb will not stay pumped up?

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by tnman, Apr 20, 2006.

1. tnman

tnman New Member

I have a 1967ish 6hp Johnson. I purchased a new fuel line including primer bulb last year and all seemed to work fine. I set it up in my barrel to start it for the first time this season to make sure all ran well. It will start but only run for about a minute then die. If I repump the bulb it will start but once again only run for about a minute. The bulb will not stay pumped up. Anyone know what is going on?
    Thanks

2. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    tnman,
    There could be a couple of things. (1). Check to make sure your vent is open on your tank. If the vent is closed, the fuel flow to the pump will stop. (2) Check your fuel filter screen. This could be plugged and pumping the bulb might be forcing enough gas through the plug to start your motor but prevent it from pumping a fuel supply when running. (3) Your fuel pump could be bad. Get the motor started and then pump the bulb as its running and see it keeps running. If it does, and your screen in not plugged, then you probably have a very small pin hole in the pump diaphram (sp) and your fuel pump will need to be rebuilt with a kit or replaced. It's an easy job and anyone can do it.

3. tnman

tnman New Member

I know 1 & 2 are ok, guess I'll give #3 a try. Thanks

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Are you choking it to get it started?

5. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Had a similar problem.. mine was caused by a vacuum leak in the fuel line... it had dry rotted.

6. dgde4x4man

dgde4x4man New Member

State:
    La Moille, Illinois
    I'm sure you checked this but do you have it hooked up right? I one time hooked it up backwards where the fuel flow was going away instead of to the engine. LOL.

7. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I was going to ask the same Chris, there is an arrow on the bulb, make sure it points toward the motor.

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I had the same problem. The hoses inside the engine compartment had cracked and my engine kept dying. Replaced all the hoses and never had a problem again. Also had a bad bulb one time. It had a pinhole leak.

9. tnman

tnman New Member

Yes.. It runs fine when it starts, but will die about a minute later. The bulb is always empty.

10. tnman

tnman New Member

I'm sure it's hooked up right, the line and bulb are only a year old. I ordered the fuel pump repair kit. It was only $10, so I'm going to try that. If not, I'll put a new line with bulb and see what that does.

Thanks for all the replies..

11. trnsmsn

trnsmsn New Member

State:
    Missouri Originally Now I
    I Agree That Your Problem Is Most Likely A Bad Fuel Pump Diapraghm However Do Be Sure To Make Sure Your Fuel Lines Are Good Along With THe Connections. I Have Seen Many Overtightened & Caused A Vacuum Leak Too.

Also Just because The Primer Bulb Is New Doesn't Mean A Thing. N.E.W. Stands For NEVER-EVER-WORKED.

HTH, :cool: Elliot

12. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Your answer, "Yes", to my question tells me it needs a carb cleaning, in all probability.

Take off your fuel line to the carb, prime it until gas comes through the line, crank the engine and watch if fuel is spurting though the line. If it is, your fuel pump works. The bulb getting hard says your fuel pump diaphragm is good. If it had a hole in it, you'd be filling the cyl with gas that operates the pulse action of the fuel pump, and the bulb wouldn't get hard.

A visual examination of the fuel system is the first thing to do. Remember, I said probability on the carb cleaning.

13. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    For further explanation on the carb cleaning probability;

Gas brought in through the choking process will get the engine to start. Gas pulled though the carb for idling purposes comes in through a different circuit with a very small, easily stopped up passage ways.

First time this season is another clue.

BTW, primer bulbs are supposed to get soft after starting.

14. tnman

tnman New Member

Thanks again. The pump kit should be here today. I'll go ahead and check out the carb as well.

15. tnman

tnman New Member

I just received my fuel pump repair kit. There are 2 springs in this kit, I only remember seeing one when I pulled my pump off to inspect it. Does anybody have any diagrams or advise on how to put this together? I am mechanically inclined, but any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks

16. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
  17. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    You actualy took your pump apart before having the repair kit there?

18. tnman

tnman New Member

Yep, it wasn't that hard and went back together easy. I just don't remember seeing the 2nd spring. I'll disassemble it again tonight and see what I've got. I was just hoping someone was familiar with this model would have some info on it.
    Thanks

19. Fishing Fred

Fishing Fred New Member

State:
    Lillington, N.C
    Had a cracked o-ring on connector at fuel tank to cause the same problem a few weeks ago. Bulb never would completely get hard though and finally saw some gas leakage ( small amount ) on topof tank. Just a thought and simple to check !

20. Doyle

Doyle New Member

State:
    Illinois
    "Just because The Primer Bulb Is New Doesn't Mean A Thing. N.E.W. Stands For NEVER-EVER-WORKED"

That good, I hope I can remember it.