primer bulb collapses..HELP PLEASE!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by fishnohio, Apr 27, 2008.

1. fishnohio

fishnohio New Member

State:
    Middletown,Ohio
    i took my boat out yesterday and i noticed that the primer bulb was collapsing and the only reason i noticed it i was sitting in neutral at idle debating whether to fish this spot or not and the engine just died ( which is out of the norm ) so i started looking and i seen it, but it started right back up it only died one other time yesterday, and then today me and my wife took it out and i kept my eye on it and it collapsed again but it did not die until i was trying to get it back on the trailer in high wind and after my second try i started getting p.o ed at myself for not getting it on the trailer and i kicked it to spin around and line it back up with the trailer and it just died and was kind of hard to get it restarted but i did and got it on the trailer. the bulbs are supposed to stay hard right? or should i say maintain there shape? by the way it is a 1989 winner 16.6 bass boat with a built in gas tank and a 1973 johnson 85 hp, i checked the gas tank vent and it is clear, could it just be the bulb is bad or the fuel pump? i have no clue, the motor runs strong but i just don't understand this....thanks guys in advance.....Mike

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Think I'd look at the pickup tube which goes into the gas tank. Something is blocking the flow of fuel. If the bulb is collapsing, I would think the fuel pump is creating sufficient suction to get the fuel to the carbs, but something is blocking its flow. If the tube is clear, then you may have a bulb that is starting to deteriorate.

3. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya i agree. if the line is un obstructed try the new bulb. there under $10. and they do eventually get weak.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    If you have the onboard tank look at where the line goes into the tank and see if it has the connection with the check valve in it. If it does I would say it is sticking and causing the fuel starvation. The pump is doing its job.

5. slimer1

slimer1 New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Also make sure your vent is open on your tank. If you have the screw in the cap it has to be open or if it's the diaphram type in the cap make sure it's clean.