Prime time...who's catching what?

Discussion in 'ALABAMA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by paleocaver, Apr 13, 2006.

1. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    It's that time. Water's warming and the lakes in the Tenn. River are full. I haven't had a chance to get out since spring break in mid-April. Saw some small channels caught at Colbert Steam Plant discharge back then. They were only hitting raw shrimp and I had none, so I got skunked on cats but did catch a lot of bream and a big gar using some of the smaller bream.

I want to fish 7-Mile Island/Pride area on Saturday. Anyone catching anything? Fish should be relatively shallow and in rocks preparing for spawn. Want cats but would not pass up shellcracker or bream if opportunity arose.

If nothing there, will head to Wilson Dam tailwaters for some blues. Anyone had luck there?

I'll report my weekend efforts next week.

Good luck and good fishin'

Scott

2. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I fished all day Saturday 4/15 and came up empty. I was using fresh skipjack and only had 1/2 dozen bites, but no takers.

3. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    I did catch some channel cats at my marina. I chummed with sweet corn, and put about 3 or 4 kernels on a #4 hook. Biggest one was about 4 lbs. I'm getting my boat ready. Hope to get serious in a few days. Is anyone getting any skipjack at the Wheeler Dam?

4. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    I have heard they are showing up.
    I caught some at Guntersville Dam, and they were all huge!!

5. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    Got on a bunch of channels on the rocks yesterday. Mid-lake on Pickwick - Coffee Slough area.
    13 cats caught in 2 to 4 feet of water. 1 to 4 pounds.

6. fastfrank

fastfrank New Member

State:
    Elgin, Alabama
    Went Sat. Got a 5 lb. channel and an approx. . 20 lb. blue. Saw a fella catch a 6 lb. largemouth the old Lucy's Marina at Wheeler.