Prime time to catch a flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by flatter, Apr 9, 2008.

1. flatter

flatter New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Just wondering what is your alls prefered time to catch a flathead. Such as late evening early morning or what. Hope to hear from yall soon. By the way, mine is from late evenin to about 2 in the mornin.

2. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like catching flats late in the evening after dark

3. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I htink this was touched on in another post. There is no "magic" time. It depends on where you are fishing. If you are in the hunting grounds it will be a little later. If your right outside his door it will be early. If your in the main highway between the two it will be when he is headed out to eat, or on his way home. Thats just how I feel about it. When in a boat I will try all three areas around the times I think they are starting to move. Also I have never caught one wearing a watch. If its very overcast they will head out earlier. They look for the light to start to fade. Again thats just my take on it.

4. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i totaly agree with you and on the same note about 10-11 for me when i dont stay out all night is the time for me

5. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Like the others said, it will depend on where you are set up, but for me the most bites seem to come right after dark and then it slows down for a while and then a lot of times I get some more good bites around midnight.

I'm betting the first flurry of hits are coming as the fish wake up and come out to prowl. I suspect that after hunting around a bit, then a lot of them settle down into ambush spots and are not moving around as much (and that's why the bite slows down).

Also, I fish in tidewaters (fresh water that is close enough to the ocean for there to be a tide so the water level rises and falls and the current even changes directions), and the change of the tide can often bring bites for me, too.

6. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I usually fish all night long till daybreak, my favorite time is the morning bite. when it is still dark, but the birds start chirping at the first sounds of morning. I have caught some really nice fish between 5 am and 7 am on the river then....rollo

7. riv56

riv56 New Member

State:
    pennsylvania
    I kind of like the time couple hrs. after it gets dark, an the rest of the way through the night, an those magic hrs. like rollo said right before day light. Of course I will fish high noon, bright sunlight, an 4 foot waves if my dear wife is going to be home that day...........lol

good fishin fellas

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I mostly fish the timeframe of 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM.

9. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I catch most of my flats fron 9am to 2 pm, I seldam fish at night.

10. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    My biggest flats have came at nighttime. I've caught them during the day but you just gotta be at the right place at the right time.
    My PB Flattie was around 4am. I love fishing all night, Its just hard to get people to fish with me all night though.

11. kingneck76

kingneck76 New Member

State:
    Jeff City MO
    I know what you mean there. If someone is going that I think may want to leave early I make them meet me there. That way if they get tired, and want to head home they can go for it. I have been know to sit out there from 5-6 in the afternoon, and packing up around 8 am to head home. I love the quite time on the water.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    at night between 9 and midnight and in the morning from 4 to 7 and the afternoon from 11:30 to 3:30... But tha is for a few of my local hot spots.... but it could work in other places too... but i have seen big flatties come out of my river at all different times and wheater conditions....

13. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I hear that... It really chaps my azz when people beg me to go out for a night of fishing and i pick them up and they only want to stay 2 hours.... I can set from dusk till dawn and not catch a thing. and still leave happy

14. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    I AGREE. THIS IS MY FAVORITE TIME. MY SECOND CHOICE WOULD BE ONE HOUR BEFORE TO ONE HOUR AFTER DARK. IF YOU GET TO THAT LOG JAM AN HOUR BEFORE DARK AND PLACE SOME BAITS AROUND IT "NOT IN IT" IT IS ALMOST 100% A SURE THING.

15. Junior42

Junior42 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, KY
    I like to catch em when it get's dark.

16. firechief4201

firechief4201 New Member

State:
    Catlettsburg, Kentucky
    This time of year I have trouble finding what time there feeding. You can gettem any hour if the baits right.:wink:

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    From noon, till 5pm is when I catch most of my flats

18. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    Here where I live the times have varied some for me.I have had some really good luck from mid morning (10 am) until mid afternoon.Then again right before dark and up through the night.During the day light hours I fish a live bream right on the edges of a good hole that usally has a couple of log jams around it.Most of the time these places produce a few good fish for me.Then at night or close to it,I move out and set up from the hole(s) and usally do good that way also.As everyone else said ,depends on where your at and what your using.And for staying out all night....I love it!:big_smile:.I work midnights anyway so staying up all night is not a problem for me.Besides,it's way more peaceful that time of night anyway.Wish I was there right now.:big_smile_2:

19. katkiller77

katkiller77 New Member

State:
    dayton ohio
    I find fishing the gmr working early mornings for now myself i usually go 3am to 8am for flats pb was caught around 10pm but the majority of them was caught from 4am to 8am

20. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I seem to have my best success from right before dark till around 11 PM and then there are flurries of activety throughout the night. Key is being there all night to take advantage :wink:!