Prime Time for catfishing...

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Froggiestyle, Oct 6, 2005.

1. Froggiestyle

Froggiestyle Guest

Reguardless of how a summer was catfishing, (espically baggin the big ones), September and October are the most important. What I mean is that when fishing rivers and creeks in the midwest area, now is the time to pull in the big ones, espically flats. This past summer in the midwest was HOT, and DRY!!!

The cats were lagging in spawning, and sluggish due to lack of rain and steady heat. The cats are hungry and ready to feed before they slow down for the winter. Now is the time to catfish and get some good catches. I tell you this by past expierencies. In my opinion, when fishing the Ohio River wher I usually fish, the most active time is in September and October. The water is still warm, reguardless of the tempature change. Reel them in!!!

2. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    this will be my first fall serioursly catfishing and i cant wait to experience all the hype!

3. LilRyjoe04

LilRyjoe04 New Member

State:
    Indianapolis,Indiana
    That's a good point Froggy!! Man was it hot here in Indy :cursing: It was starting to really upset me! Now they should be starting to hit! Let's get them!!

4. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ya im going this weekend. another brother is coming down to camp. looking like ill be joining him for some catting action at the lake. ;)

5. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Very true words spoken there Froggie!

It is becoming PRIME TIME for cats. We here in the Southeast have a tropical storm passing through that is bringing a shift in the winds and some cooler temps for the weekend, so it should be interesting.

6. Matthew72

Matthew72 New Member

State:
    Cobden Il.
    :) Hi I am a new member and I just went fishin today. I caught a black bullhead. he was to small though

I was wonderin how do I add a pic of me for my avatar?.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    WAY TO GO SLAYER!!

To add a pic to your avatar, go to "Qucik Links" and follow the instructions. Make sure the image is on your harddrive, like on the desktop.

8. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    This is going to be my first fall seriously catfishing too. Anybody else do there catfishin' from shore. Cause me and my buddy fish from a dock in the Ohio River near the mouth of a creek and we havn't been doin all that great 3 or 4 fish a trip on avg. Any advice?

9. Ohio_River_Rat

Ohio_River_Rat New Member

State:
    Charlestown, Indiana
    Whats is a good bait to be using? Ive heard that shad works really well but ive been having a hard time to get a hold of them. I have a cast net and from a dock i see them jumping all around but i cant ever get more than one or two at a time. Any tips?

10. Froggiestyle

Froggiestyle Guest

river rat...

I fish off a floating dock on the river in the Saler Park area. We do well, espically now. Been catching nice size flats, with a few channels and blues thrown in the mix.

ohio river rat...

Best bait, SHAD. Find a good little inlet and toss out the ol castnet. Won't have to pay a dime for bait. If you live in the Cincinnati area there's great public boat ramp with a inlet infested with shad. It's off of route 50 behind the Shell gas station in Saler Park. They don't mind if you throw a cast net to catch baitfish, but PLEASE do not fish there. The owner doesent want people to fish there but it's cool to throw a net

Hope this helps.

11. river_rat_42

river_rat_42 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Really. Ill have to keep tryin' the ol' dock then. Ohio River Rat is my buddy that fishes w/ me, so maybe (if we can find a place to catch shad around here) our luck will go up. Nightcrawlers and Liver just isnt workin' for us.

12. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Nice! I hope the cats start biteing for me!

13. bigpapa15206

bigpapa15206 New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh
    I dont understand? The weather here has dropped and so has the fishing. it went from 75-80 to 50's and it rained. Something is odd because usually when it rains the shad swim right up along this wall and straight into the "boil" below the dam, but they didnt do it this past rain. It was like 55 degrees and i put my hand in the water and it was warm. How can this be?

14. Txboy

Txboy New Member

State:
    Hewitt , TX
    Its gone from 100 to 56 to 82 in 2 weeks :\ im going to wait till the weather stays at a stable level before i start fishing again

The water is cold or atleast it was when i fell in saturday :glare: