Prime Rib ? Roast or a Steak?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by kkyyoottee, Aug 19, 2007.

1. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Prime rib is it a steak or a roast? Any ideas?

2. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Prime rib is definatively a roast. It is roasted, therefore it is a roast. Rib roast is the same cut, but with the bone left in it. The steak equivalent is a ribeye. All the same cut of meat. The only difference is the preparation. Hope that helps.:wink: This makes me hungry!

Attached Files:

3. Catgirl

Catgirl New Member

Thank you Matt. I was waiting for your response to this thread....knew you'd express it much more appropriately than I could.

Will, as far as I'm concerned, prime rib is nothin' but glorified roast beef :tounge_out:. If I'm gonna eat a ribeye, I prefer the STEAK, cooked over charcoal :big_smile:.

4. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Roast for sure.

I am a steak man.......rare.....

5. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    I love Prime Rib! It is better and more tender than Rib Eye.... Only thing better is a T-Bone or if I am really hungry, a Porterhouse!.... OK a Filet Mignon is a good one too!

6. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    A rare prime rib sliced about an 1-1/2" thick, a little salt and pepper, and it dont get much better.

7. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    Baked tater. And a big glass of sweet tea. Man what a meal.
    I may have to do one next month.:big_smile:
    Pete

8. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I know its my least eaten and most favorite cut of BEEF.

9. CatFishingFinatic

CatFishingFinatic New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I soak mine in a brine for 12-24 hours, then rub it with olive oil, and a combination of spices especially garlic, cut a few slits in it and put garlic chunks in it, then slow cook it to 140-160 degrees, on the grill is best, makes for great medium rare cuts of steak. We have a difference of opinion in our house though. Will likes his done and I like mine rare, he gets the end pieces and I get the middle, Serve it with some cut horse radish, and au jus, fresh cut tomatoes, a sweet potato covered with butter, maybe some corn on the cob or fresh aspargus. Couple slices of hot bread. Great now I am hungry for a prime rib steak. Now to me if you cook it completely done it is nothing more than a roast, cooking it rare makes it more like a steak.

10. kkyyoottee

kkyyoottee New Member

State:
    Iowa
    YOU PREPARE IT I FINISH IT!!!:big_smile:

11. SUNDROP

SUNDROP New Member

State:
    Washington
    I prefer a ribeye, center cut with all the good old unhealthy heart clogging fat. Cooked medium rare on charcoal and flamed around the edges to make the fat just a little crisp...MMMMM! Baked potatoe rolled in salt, butter n sourcream... Sweet tea or a cold Sundrop/Dr Pepper. maybe a side of grilled asparagus... yeah! oh and Pecan pie for dessert!!!!!

Yes, that is why I am a BIG man!!!!!! LOL!!!

12. Scott Daw

Scott Daw New Member

State:
    Allentown, Pennsylvania
    its a roast. but I dont like it much. For the price, its got to much fat (i know thats what makes it so tender..) and I feel like Im wasting my money with it so I dont order it often. if/when I have (at xmas work dinner) I get it medium rare.

13. Indigo Flats

Indigo Flats Member

State:
    Lancaster,
    I agree. I like just a little salt and pepper. Nothing like the taste of beef and I don't want to hide or disguise it with marinade or sauces.

14. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    when i butcher a deer i remove the backstraps. the tip that stops at the flank between the rear leg and ribs is squared off and chops are made from this up to where the loin or strap starts to thin into the neck the chops stop. this piece of meat left about 9-12" long is the prime rib of a deer. i assume its the same in a cow. i learned from a pro butcher the name a cuts of a deer.

i usually tie these two togather into a prime rib roast with butcher twine.