Price of Oil (not Arabian)

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by postbeetle, Jun 11, 2007.

1. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Cooking oil prices continue to go up and will probably not stop. What oil do you folks recommend for your deep frying or pan frying-whether fish or anything else? Getting oil to 375' is one thing but the smoke point varies so much between vegetable, cannola, peanut etc. What depth do you like your pan fried oil? Cover the fish, halfway up the fish, or a thin layer. Do you skim oil between batches. Do you save oil for re-use and if so how?

2. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First of all, I don't like to pan fry fish. I have two 'pots' I deep fry fish in. One is an electric commercial type with controls to adjust the temperature of the oil, and a basket to place the fillets in. We reuse this oil, straining it occasionally. How often depends on how much drop off there is from the fillet coating or batter. When the oil gets to smelling old, we throw it away and replace it with fresh. This cooker will cook enough for a meal for my family, and is a lot less trouble to use than my big cooker, which is an old cast iron washpot, with a custom built burner under it. After each use, the oil is allowed to cool, then strained back into the original plastic jugs. I prefer using peanut oil, because it gives an extra subtle taste to whatever you're cooking. But it's expensive, so I can't always afford it. Note, when you're using a big pot like this, after the oil cools, you can dip a lot of it out with a big ladle without having to strain it, because almost all of the drop off has settled to the bottom.

3. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    SAMS Club here in Texas actually has some of the lowest prices I have seen in awhile for the big 35 lb boxes of oil. We fry chicken wings, fish, corn, ribs, etc at cook-offs and use the clear fry they carry. It is 100% soy and has a burn temp of 425 degrees. I have a large outdoor propane rig called a Texas Fryer with two stainless tanks and two double handle baskets. We also have two large electric cookers big enough to hold up to a 12 lb turkey.

Peanut oil has dropped also in price at SAMS but the clear fry is cheaper and best for bulk frying.

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    Do you know if they have that clear fry in the Wal Mart stores as well as Sams?

5. Texas_Select

Texas_Select New Member

State:
    TX
    Wal-Marts don't carry the big 35lb boxes, at least not our local superstores.