Price Gouging

Discussion in 'LOCAL SOUTH CAROLINA TALK' started by Patmansc, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Patmansc

Patmansc Well-Known Member

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    When I left for a day of cat-smacking this morning, gas was $3.69 at 6am the Ingles station by my house. When I got back this evening, it was $4.60!!!! 2 days ago it was $3.45. Tell me something fishy ain't going on 'round heah!!!!!!:confused2:

2. garrick

garrick New Member

State:
    SC
    No kidding!

I left for work at 6:30, and it had gone up from $3.49 last night to $3.69 here in Ware Shoals.
    I took the wife out to dinner at 5:30, and it was $3.99 at the same station!!!!

I understand that prices could go up from Hurricane Ike, but the gas that's in the tanks right now is already paid for.
    We're getting robbed. It'll go up when speculation drives up the gas that isn't even refined, much less purchased, but it won't go down until the cheap gas is in the ground at filling stations. Robbery, I tell ya!

Thank god the boat has a 2hp two stroke, and costs about the same as pushmower to run an hour. I wouldn't use it otherwise lately.

3. Flatheadzzwife

Flatheadzzwife New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I saw something on the news where you can report it on the Live 5 news page. Where I live it was 4.59

4. mark29860

mark29860 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    yesterday morning gas in Edgefield County was 3.79 now its 5.29

5. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    That's just so wrong :confused2:

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    It's on the news in our area about the unneeded sudden jump and gouging. They are suggestion that we take pictures of the station/pumps and write the time and address down and report. They say that they will proscute.

7. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Dream on.

You will see few, if any, prosecutions from this.

Too many complicated factors come into play to make a successful prosecution.

8. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i haul gas and today the rack price was 4.00 a gal

9. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Great point slimdaddy.

Supply and demand will dicatate the price.

If you "really" need it, then you will pay the price.

In my opinion there is no such thing as "price gouging" in a free market economy. :wink:

10. jsthumb

jsthumb New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I agree that it does royally suck that they can do this, but unfortunately it is only considered "price gouging" if a state of emergency has been declared and we have no such emergency here in sc.

11. Patmansc

State:
    Greer, SC
    Name:
    Pat Chaney
    I'm sure that most of us are not only aware of supply & demand economics, as red-blooded Americans we are also proponents of free enterprise and open commerce. But I also seem to recall something about building and maintaining customer loyalty, and that it costs 3 times more to aquire a new customer than to keep an existing one. You can bet a penny to a buck that my wife & I will be purchasing gas from the guy that has been consistently charging a competitive price, rather than the one that thought to take advantage of a short-term profit increase at the expense of customer retention, even tho we have to drive a few extra blocks to get it :big_smile:

12. willcat

willcat New Member

State:
    texas
    It wasn't only the gas prices here in Texas but along the beach they found a hotel that drove their prices up for rooms for people without a place to live and the feds came in & basically told them pay a 20,000 dollar fine for each room rented and up to 250,000 for each senior affected........they said they cahrged 150 for rooms that were rented for 80 normally,also there is this ongoing thing with the wrecker services on south padre island down to big shell where people have been charged up to 2500 bucks for being pulled out of the sand down there...they asked all the authorities about it & they said they could charge whatever they wanted cuz it's not regulated by the state...even park rangers vehicles have been pulled out for over a 1000 dollars for 20 miles or less, used to be the rangers could pull you out but someone tried to sue them for damage( go figure) to their bumper so they said no more, they will call someone for you but whoever gets the call can charge whatever they want(usually they tell you more or less over the phone how much) so at least you know ahead of time you are about to get screwed, or you can leave it there till the tide comes in & watch it get destroyed, your choice....price gouging is by your choice, when gas goes back down see how many people will shop there again, they might not have gas pumps anymore...