Prevent killing deep water fish

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by special liberty, Nov 26, 2006.

1. special liberty

special liberty New Member

State:
    Maryland
    Yesterday we caught a 3-4 lbs blue in about 65 feet of water. On heavy tackle it didn't take long to bring him up. Once in the boat it was apparent something (air bladder?) was hanging out it's rectum. Once the fish was returned to the water it floundered on the surface unable to dive. I don't keep any fish and would just as soon not kill a future trophy. Is there anyway to prevent injuring the fish when fishing deep water. Chris Harris once told me he carries a length of PVC pipe to jam down their throats to "burp" them but he also mentioned their bladder would be sticking out their mouth not the other end? Any help would be appreciated.

2. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    Tawn, you can prevent serious harm to fish hooked in deep water by bringing them up at a slow pace. This will give the fish time to "burp". The next time you get a fish in deep water (40+) bring it up slowly and watch the surface. There should be a few air bubbles coming to the surface as the fish expels excess gases. I have had fish that had a slight "bulge" in their gut after coming out of deep water and with a little massaging on the belly and slight pressure, they will usually "burp" without any special device. Vern

3. CATFISHPAT

CATFISHPAT New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Hey Tawn,You can pop the air blader with a needle or somthing small and sharp it will let out the air and the fish will heal up just fine, Iv done this so Im not talking out my butt,And the gut's hanging out of it's butt will pull back in place after he is don FREEKINGOUT...........

4. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

Never heard of anything hanging out the other end. I have seen fish spit up their stomach/bladder when catching them out of shallow water but that was out the mouth.

5. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Yep like Vern said dont hog them in and youll do fine

6. catfish1516

catfish1516 New Member

State:
    Reidsville ,North Carolina
    never had that happen to me......:eek:oooh: .......nope not a clue

7. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    Get a long plastic slender funnel at advance auto or auto zone just for burping,sand the tips outer edge smooth mark it somehow and leave it on your boat.

8. turkey22

turkey22 New Member

State:
    alabama
    Take the side fin of the fish and lay it flat against the fishes side. At the tip of the fin take a needle and press it into the fish. This will bleed the air off. The airsack will heal right up in a few days. You can also check with some saltwater tackle dealers, they sell a bleeding tool.

9. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    65 feet?!? thats not really that deep. i had no idea fish were that sensitive to pressure at relitivly small depths.

10. jim

jim New Member

State:
    Jacksonville NC
    The pressure at 65 ft is considerable and the fish does need to be burped.After fishing with Chris I made myself a PVC burp stick also and carry it on my boat.The "hanging out the rectum" is quite common at Santee and indicates the fish is feeding on clams or mussells.They swallow the clams whole and their stomach juices dissolves the meat and they pass the shells out often distending their rectum in the process.Nothing to worry about and for smaller fish you can usually massage them into a burp.:smile2:

11. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    when i go out fishing in Chesapeake bay, we catch fish in water over 250 feet deep and the fish have nothing hanging out of there back ends. whats different with cats?

12. south_va_fisherman

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    oh by the way. the fish are bigger than most cats. if that has anything to do with it.

13. Arkansascatman777

Arkansascatman777 New Member

State:
    AR
    Ever catch a cat from deep water and its belly was bloated looking and very firm? When a fish is in deep water the air in its swim bladder is compressed from all the pressure around the fish. When the fish is brought up quickly this compressed air expands as the pressure comes off of it and causes the fish to bloat. Normally a fish can equalize the pressure on is own as is rises, but not when pulled up quickly as often happens when we catch one. When bringing in a fish from deep water bring him up slowly and watch for the air bubbles to rise. A fish that is bloated like this can not dive until the air is released either naturally, or with a little help and will struggle on the surface and could die. Sometimes a cat will burp on its own when a little gentle pressure is applied to its belly by a hand or when lying on the bottom of a boat. If not, a small 1/2 inch PVC pipe can be inserted gently down it's throat until the air is released. Be carefull not to have your face in line with the pipe because often a little gift may come out along with the air:lol: .
    you will hear alot of people say to stick them with a needle.. DONT DO THAT! IT WILL KILL THEM. they will swim away at first, but it inhibits their ability to properly swim and suspend and eventually leads to mortality.
    Myself I just put them on my shoulder and give them a good pat on the back:lol: J/K.

14. gearhead

gearhead New Member

State:
    China Grove, NC
    sticking them with a needle and healing up in a few days do they come back for a check up or a follow up exam how would you know if their ok just burp them.

15. dusky

dusky Member

State:
    indiana
    Every 30 feet below the surface adds pressure equivalent to the pressure we feel by our own atmosphere. This pressure condenses the air, like other guys have said here. I learned this from scuba diving training. When we dived we add "equalize" the pressure that built up in our ears every five feet or so- it's a lot of pressure, crazy, ain't it? On our ascent we are supposed to go up slowly and exhale along the way in order to prevent lung overexpansion, which could be fatal. An over-inflated bladder could probably be prevented by pullin her up slow to give her a chance to relax and release some air. I would not poke with a needle. I wouldn't poke a needle in my lungs! Fight them slow, and burp if necessary.

16. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good points brought up. Catching blues under winter conditions have happened to me frequently since they huddle in the deep. With the smaller blues it happens a lot because of them being easier to bring in. With the 40 plus pounders not as often because of the time bringing them in. There have been a few times that I seen the air bubbles in the surface as well after bringing them in slowly. Otherwise they need to be burped bascially. Someone brought up that they never seen a cat with the pressure coming out the other end. I caught a few like that. Here is an example in a pic here with a 12 pounder.

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=17950&d=1163954475

17. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    I really don't see where Puncturing their air bladder can be healthy for them. If they can't fill their air bladder with air for a couple of days, seems to me that they would die. Not to mention the fact that they couldn't swim upright during this time of "HEALING", that they shouldn't need in the first place.
    I would have to see documentation that puncturing their air bladder works before I would do it. If the fish Dies because of the procedure, it would be wasting a resource, and I ain't into that!!!
    I have found that the best way to prevent this is a slow retrieve and let them aclimate themselves to the atmospheric pressure on the way up or use a tube to burp them. either one of those methods do less damage to the fish than poking hole in it!!!

PS It would be the same thing if you had the bends and I decided to relieve the pressure with a fillet knife!!!!

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    One thing that I seen common on paid ocean trips is when they relieve rock cod or sea bass by puncturing their air bladder with a needle. They do that all the time when releasing them back into the deep becauase if they just toss them back out there and they float then they are bird food or seal food. I often wondered that myself if it would cause damage to them but the deck hands say that its no harm. Would be really hard to test unless an experiment was done and they tagged the fish with some kind of monitoring device to keep up with their movements after puncturing the air bladder.

19. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    Brian, I couldn't agree more with the monitoring idea. I would love to see some results from that.
    Those salt water guided trips are nothing more than a way to make money!!! And you and I both know what that means: They will tell these folks on the boat anything that they want to hear. Money is king in their world!!!
    As stated above, there are other non-invasive ways to handle this problem!!!