Pretty quiet around here

Discussion in 'MICHIGAN RIVERS TALK' started by RiverKat, Aug 20, 2006.

1. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Sure has been quiet the last few weeks. I have not been fishing much myself in the last 2 weeks as I'm dealing with a dislocated right shoulder. Feeling alot better now and plan to do some catfishing this week. I have some trips booked for this coming weekend and need to get on the river this week to get back on the fish. I'll post later in the week as to how the cats are biting on the Grand.

Dan

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    SSHHHHH, Everyone is asleep, LOL!!!

3. bwanatony

bwanatony New Member

State:
    Grand River Valley, Weste
    Dan-
    Sorry to hear about the shoulder, hope your recovery continues well.
    I also hope you can find a few spots in the Grand River valley damp enough to wet a line in, LOL....

No, really, where there is a hole right now, there ought to be fish in it.
    Good luck, look forward to the findings,
    Tony

4. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    Getting better every day Tony. Deep holes should hold fish in this low water. Only problem with the water this low is that Gar want to be in that good habitat too.

Dan

5. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Dan Sorry to hear about the shoulder. get well soon and keep us posted OK.

6. sal_jr

sal_jr New Member

State:
    Ithaca, MI
    Dan,

Sorry to hear about your shoulder, man! The other night on the maple Tony and Jspiel and I wondered where you went. We thought you just knew something about the flatheads this time of year and you went dormant... Come to find out that you got hurt. Hope your recovery is going well.

Yes, it has been quiet for some time. I dunno why. Maybe the frustration of a lack of success is slowly eating away morale, or maybe we're too busy holding a rod and a can of "OFF" that we dont have any body parts to apropriately type with, without getting arrested and/or fired from work.:crazy: :lol: :roll_eyes:

Get better fast, bro.

Sal

7. RiverKat

RiverKat New Member

State:
    Michigan
    My Friday trip canceled but my Saturday trip was a go. Last night I fished with an older gentelman from Lake City, Mi. named John. He was as colorfull as one can imagine a grizzled outdoorsman of 75 years could be. One leg, maybe twice as many teeth, hundreds of stories ranging from monster Blue Cats in Mississippi to dropping a charging Yukon Moose at 5 paces. I really enjoyed fishing with him. The fishing is not really good right now. The lower Grand is loaded with Shad and I suspect the cats are stuffed with them. The water is extremely low, which can put Flatheads into an almost dormant state. I've read that they can lay dormant during these extremely low water levels. A good rain would do wonders for the Flathead fishing now. We did manage 5 channel cats on cutbait and several hits on dip bait that we just could'nt hook. Probably very small cats. John caught 3 cats in the 3-5 lb range for the frying pan and released his 2 biggest ones to fight another day. His largest was a 15 lb channel cat that put up one heck of a fight. I was convinced it was a flathead until we got it boatside and I saw the deeply forked tail. It ran out drag a couple times and proved to be about all the oldtimer could handle but we got him in the net. We had alot of trouble with Gar stealing our baits. Gar in every hole we fished. The bugs have been worse but there were plenty of them last night too. I was very happy when we landed that big channel, it kind of made the trip.

Pics of John and his 2 biggest channels

Dan

Attached Files:

8. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Couple of nice fish there Dan. Glad John caught them. He will remember that trip no doubt.

I would have loved to been listening on his story telling. I love heraing older folks talk about days and things gone by.

Hope the shoulder continues to improve so you can keep fishing!
    Take care.

9. Sparky Larson

Sparky Larson New Member

State:
    Marlette Michigan
    Hey Dan,
    Nice pics., Thanks for sharing.
    I hope your shoulder is getting better.
    Sparky