Pretty much everything I thought I knew about catfishing went into the garbage today.

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by dixiedrifter, Jun 9, 2006.

1. dixiedrifter

dixiedrifter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went to fish below pickwick dam this afternoon. Wasn't catching squat. Where did all the channel cat go that was there just a few weeks ago?

Answer, there all off spawning beds according to everyone and I and everyone else was getting skunked bad.

Buuuut, later on I still managed to catch quite a few blues in the boils. An old schoolmate came down to fish (I swear if there is a fish below that dam, he can catch it) and showed me how he catches cats this time of year, and lots of them.

The number 1 generator was down, and 2 thru 6 were running. He showed me that if you hit a certain spot say about 5 feet by 5 feet next to the number 2 discharge boiling up, your sinker would sink down and hit a slack area where the blue cats pool up. Since I was not used to using a baitcaster, this became quite the challenge and I got a lot of much needed practice (and backlashes) by the end of the day.

Ok the part about where to cast I can understand. What really got me was what he was using for bait. He had on two 1/0 hooks and a 2oz sinker, and each hook had one small hunk of cut skipjack on it. By small, I'm talking about nickel sized chunks or about the size of a 1 1/2 oz sinker. I was like WTF?

We got to talking and he told me that is where most people screw up down below the dam. He said that folks come down there with these big hooks and whole shad but when the cats are running small they simply cannot swallow the bait. And, when the fish do bite the bait they nail the heck out of it because if they nibbled it the current would take it away from them. So as soon you feel a hit, you better cross their eyes before they decide its got a hook in it.

So there I was for about an hour trying to hit the hole. Then all of a sudden there was a light "tap" and I hauled back on the rod and crossed the eyes of a small blue. Once I got the routine figured out I started catching them one right after the other... at the end of the night I ended up with 12 eating size blues and he took home over 20 over a period of about 3 hours.

Guess ya learn something new everyday.:big_smile:

2. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Hey man dont let that bait caster thing get you down. I for one am terrible at casting those devils

3. RIP

RIP New Member

State:
    Somerville, Tennessee
    Glad to hear you learned how to fish. LOL. Sounds like your friend put a lot of time in to fishing below the dam, and it payed off.

4. ShilohRed

ShilohRed New Member

State:
    West Tn
    It can be fun.
    What you were catching the fish off . Is the turnout that makes the boils come up there. The concrete turns up and the fish love it.
    As for bait. I fish that way and have for years. If after big fish big hooks and big bait is the way to go.
    If fishing for small fish. A skip jack will last all day and that is for 2 or 3 people.

Glad you had fun, And the channel cats I bet have moved back out along the channel. I wear them out in the boat there.
    Run the motor and let the bait bump behind the boat.
    Not a problem to catch a cooler full in a few hours doing that.

I bet you could catch them off the rocks under the Savannah River Bridge. They should be between the pilings and the bank now.
    Pete

5. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    Congrats on the catches, sounded like the day ended well and you got some great info on how to fish the spillway.

6. paleocaver

paleocaver New Member

State:
    USA
    That's a great story and illustrates a good point. Every trip is a learning experience.

As for the channels, I'm picking them up now in 20 to 30 foot water. They've definetly moved off the rocks here on the Tenn River.

7. Arkie55

Arkie55 New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Those fish were hold and feeding in a current seam. That's why the 2oz sinker would go to the bottom and hold. As for the baitcaster? Keep at it. It don't take to long to get it down. Skipjack is probably the best all round cut bait to use for blues and channel. I love that stuff.

Congratulations on the nice catch.

8. KatKaller

KatKaller New Member

State:
    Alabama
    Thanks for the tip dixiedrifter. I am difinately going to try your method this weekend behind the Guntersville Dam.

9. channelcat_tracker

channelcat_tracker New Member

State:
    Iowa
    i am AWESOME at casting bait casters. they are so easy to use and more strength compatability. plus if you overcast your spot then you can put your thumb on the line to stop it and real it. i do get occasional backlash but i help more guys out with their baitcasters than mine! lol. great story! ill have to try it out some time!

10. james

james New Member

State:
    Blue Ridge texa
    Ive wore the channel cats out below the lewisville dam useing small hooks and dime size chunks of liver I uselly fish it with a small bobber and lightest split shot i can get away with. Ive been down there when people have sat there for hours without a bite and first time letting my bait drift back into the main gate ill hook up. Something about light gear and letting it drift with the current back into the gate slays them sometimes.

11. vlparrish

vlparrish New Member

State:
    Bedford, Kentucky
    That goes to show. Being a cat man you need to be versatile. I have found cats along a hole and fished it for a month just tearing them up. Then come back one day and can't even get a dink. They are constantly on the move and you should be too. Vern