Pretty good day on the Sangamon

Discussion in 'ILLINOIS RIVERS TALK' started by SubnetZero, May 20, 2008.

1. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    My wife's Uncle called me up today and said he needed some catfish for his freezer and wanted to know I wanted to hit the river with him :big_smile:.

He already had his boat loaded and was ready to go, so I grabbed a couple poles and headed over.

He had some frozen shad and some leeches for bait.. we hit a couple of creek mouths on the way up river and was able to find around 10 good size shad for some fresh bait as well...

We first setup in his honey hole, and it didn't disappoint us.. Within about 3 minutes, he had a fish on his leech line.. For the next 45 minutes or so, neither one of us could sit down. We were either netting a fish, pulling a fish in, or rebaiting.. My first two fish were a 8lbr and 12. High water pattern with the pretty heavy current, the 12lbr felt like a 30:big_smile:. Smallest we caught was around 5. They died off and we started running the river trying to find more feeding fish, but it was pretty spotty, just here and there..

All but 1 fish was caught on cut shad. The water is still pretty chilly and the fish are still a tad bit lethargic, with mostly timid biting (bump bump, little run, bump bump) . One just barley bumped my line 1 time and I didn't know I had one until I reeled in to check my bait..

All in all, a very good day on the river...

Attached Files:

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Way to Go Tim,Looks like you fellas were able to put some filets in the freezer.Thanks for the report and post. J.D.:wink:

3. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Tim looks like you had a good day of fishing. Hope i can have one like that soon

4. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Looks like you all had a good day! Thanks for sharing!!!:wink::big_smile:

5. Cat Man Joe

Cat Man Joe New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks for the report, Tim. The water is still a bit chilly at Otter too although a farm pond was giving up small bass pretty easily yesterday for my wfe and me. Congrats on a nice day out. Im still waitin' for the new record flathead report to come from you someday. lol

6. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    COOL! Ya gonna mount that board in the livein room? LOL!:wink:

7. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    Hehe, I'm telling ya, there are several swimming around out there in Sangchris.. Hoping I'll be the one to land one...

LOL!!! He mounted them on there for pics for his "Brag board" out in his Garage... Every year he as big Chili Dump/cookout and everyone checks it for the new pics on it heheh...Just glad I finally made it up on it heh.

And FYI, a Chili dump is where everyone makes their "best" chili recipe and then dumps em all together in a big dutch oven...All the different styles mixed together ends up VERY tasty

8. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    I thought maybe it was the "DUMP" ya took after eatin it all. LOL!