Pretty cool bait tank idea... You guys think it will work?

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by smhmc6, Apr 8, 2009.

1. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have a 100 gallon stock tank in my garage with a paddle aerator. Works pretty good at keeping 30-75 bluegill alive for a few days. The problem is that every 2 or so days I have to change the water which means I got to unroll the hose pull it into the garage, hook it up to the bulge pump and wait for it to pump all out. Then I gotta take the hose out, turn it around, hook it up to the faucet, and fill the tank up. My hose is a cheap one and kinks up easy... its just annoying. Plus its tap water and I have to treat it to get the chlorine out and all that. I've experimented with a builge pump and awkwa lung system which works pretty good at filtering the water (still have to change it, just not as often) but the problem is that those builge pumps aren't designed for contiuous running and they burn up after about a week and need replaced. I think I've come up with a pretty cool solution though.

A few days ago, I had a well drilled so that I could water my lawn without paying the ridiculous water bills. Since then, I think I figured out a way to automatically circulate in fresh well water (so I don't have to treat it).

Here's the plan. I already had an existing sprinkler system that tapped into the main water line in the house. The pump on my new well pumps WAY more water then what was coming out of my water main, so I think I'm going to be able to wire my timer up so I can run two stations at the same time. I have a 6 station timer, so that means I'll only be using 3 of them now and I'll have 3 more open slots for more valves.

My idea is this, I can take out the drain plug from the stock tank and get the pvc fittings required to install a valve there and run that pipe out of my garage. I will wire that valve up with one of my other stations so that when the sprinkler turns on it will open that valve and let the tank drain into my yard while one of the sprinkler zones is running. I will also T off of my main sprinkler line and add another valve there and run that line into my garage and into the stock tank. I will wire that valve up to its own station on the timer so that valve opens after the tank drains and fills it back up (should only take about 3 min. with the flow rate I'm getting from my pump, but I'll have to experiment with that to see how long to set it at).

The idea is that every day the tank will empty itself and fill bak up with fresh well water automatically whenever my sprinkler runs in the morning. Hassle free for me, never have to change the water the hard way again. I should be able to keep a whole lot of bluegill alive for a long time until they eventually starve themselves I guess... but they are going to be flathead bait way before then anyway:smile2:. What do you think, will it work?

2. FLATHEAD STEVE

FLATHEAD STEVE New Member

State:
    DESMOINES IOWA
    WOW!! is all I can say at the momment:smile2:

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    IMO you are makin it WAY more complicated than it needs to be.:smile2:
    I keep over a hundred perch at a time in mine. All I use to add oxygen are 2 air pumps from the aquarium section at Wally World. I have them runnin to 10" air stones.
    I use an old deep freeze that holds over 150 gallons and it does a great job on keepin the water cool, which is essential.
    I dont even have a filter on it.:wink:
    I may add one but so far I havent need it.
    I change about half of the water once a week. Pretty painless with a bilge pump and some garden hose.
    I have run tanks with way less and have really never had a problem with perch.
    But your idea should work. Most baitshops use well water that is constantly circulating. They are also keepin ALOT of bait alive.

4. smhmc6

smhmc6 Member

State:
    Kansas
    Well, maybe a little more complicated than it HAS to be:roll_eyes:. Actually it wouldn't be too hard to do at all, I am not great at explaining things so it probably sounds like alot more than it really is. It was just an idea I had while I was at work thinking about "work things":wink:. I've got to do work on the sprinkler system anyway to modify the plumbing for the well, and also wire the pump up to the breaker in the house. Also do some wiring at the timer so that I run 3 zones instead of the 6 I used to run. It would be just a little more work after that and it might be a fun project.

5. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Just remember one thing; it applies to fishin and everything else in life:
    Keep
    It
    Simple
    Stupid
    Give it a shot, you might like it. I just hate fixin things that arent broke.:smile2:

6. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Sounds good Steve. Try it out and let us know how it works. :cool2:

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Steve thanks for sharing a great idea that you have put a lot of thought into. Yes it should work well. I do agree with others that you are changing the water more than necessary.