pressured migraters

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by bigcatman, Oct 29, 2009.

1. bigcatman

bigcatman New Member

State:
    Ashville, Ohio
    what is the best way to hunt pressured ducks and geese later on in the season. from how you would call and decoys.

2. truman lake guy

truman lake guy New Member

State:
    mo
    i would quit calling completely. also maybe use a jerk string on some decoys,when the open water freezes hit the rivers going into the lakes,u dont need many decoys there, just watch the skies and see where they are landing

3. bnewsom71

bnewsom71 New Member

State:
    Mathervill
    Late in the season where I hunt is completely frozen, and that is when the hunting can be the best. We just take chainsaws and cut out about a 10 foot hole in the ice and put maybe a half dozen decoys in it and about another half dozen on the ice. Only call at their tails and lightly at that. With everywhere else frozen over, your little piece of open water will do all of the work for ya.

4. IBEW_124_BROTHER

IBEW_124_BROTHER New Member

State:
    MO
    LEAVE THE CALLS AT HOME!!! The jerk rig is a great idea, and mojos, lots of movement. Also mix in bonus duck decoys, couple teal and widgeon, Be different than all the other spreads

5. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Some of my best hunts have came in the later part of the season. I usually hunt what ever water is opened...saying that I mean the large rivers. I also concentrate on field hunting. Find the fields they are using and get permission and go. If you can't get permission on the fields they are hitting, get in between their resting spot and the fields they are feeding in. There is nothing like laying in a corn field and having thousands of mallards coming down on you. Field hunting gets really expensive, just get a group of your regular old reliable hunting buddies and purchase a dozen field mallards a year for five years and in the end you will have one heck of a field spread. I have 4-6 guys I hunt with every year and between all of us we have 20 dozen field mallards and 10 dozen Canada decoys. Canada goose decoys are helpful aswell. I use them for confidence for ducks, it makes them feel more at ease when they are working in.

6. Mi11er

Mi11er New Member

State:
    Independence, M
    Great info on here, can't add much. I just scout a little more, make sure that I am on the X. I also only use a mallard drake call, Pintail whistle something that the guy down the field is not using.