Pressured Channel Catfish

Discussion in 'Channel Catfish' started by MattyGfishing, Jun 23, 2009.

1. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    There is a small channel that leads to Lake Saint Clare, I've seen people haul out 5-20 pounders. I've used cut shad, shrimp, and nightcrawlers, which seem to be the best bait to use there according to other fisherman. I use only 8lb test and smaller hooks to avoid picky fish from shying away. After many trips I have had no luck. I plan on going again Friday morning for another try. Any tips or suggestions?

2. Swampfox.

Swampfox. New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    ur bait choice is fine. however i would use stronger line, atleast 15 lbs test, any lighter and u risk losing a biggun. its best to be ready. increase hook size also.use about a 6/o circle hook and a bigger cut of bait and u will increase the chance of a bigger catch. pay attention to the gear u are see other anglers using, even ask them for pointers. usually the locals know whats going on.

3. kitsinni

kitsinni New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Is there current in the channel? Are you fishing on the bottom or using a bobber? Any idea what the bottom looks like ie: rock, sand, debris, sticks etc?

4. MattyGfishing

MattyGfishing New Member

State:
    Hawaii
    No current, little sticks here and there with a mucky bottom, and I'm bottom fishing with a slip rig.

5. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    id use 20# line and a 3/0 circle.that way the hooks not to big for a eater size cat to get but not to small for a big cat to hook up on.

6. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Live bluegill! We also have a lake that gets a considerable amount of pressure. We catch lots in the 3-5 pound range on liver shrimp cut bait and stink bait. All of the bigger channels come off of live gills either on bottom or under a kat bobber. Seen alot of fish caught there over 12 pounds on gills.:wink:

7. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    absolutley the same advice i would give, as far as bait if you can get em and not to skiddish to hook em try some leeches or crawdads these are two of my fav baits to use because your not limited to the size of fish thats gonna bite big or small they all take it.

8. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    heck yeah ill use crawdads anytime i can get my hands on them.

9. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I have yet to try crawdads out at our local lake. I have been wanting to for a while now. I think I will go catch some before this weekend!!

10. ronniethomas

ronniethomas New Member

State:
    iowa
    the only thing w/ crwadads on the lakes are that u might end up w/ a bass on the end of your line when your trying to go after a cat but nothing wrong with catching a nice bass every once in a while.