Pressure Cooking Carp

Discussion in 'Carp Fishing' started by warcraft1975, Feb 5, 2006.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

how do you do this?i was also wondering can carp be prepared like tuna?cooked and put in to a can?i have been told carp cakes are great and would love to give it a try

2. CatBusster

CatBusster New Member

State:
    Out Fishing
    i bet tuna cakes taste better :crying:

3. fraid_knot

fraid_knot Guest

I have never canned carp, but I have ate it. Its some good stuff. Fix it any way ya would canned mackerel (sp) Or just eat it outta the jar.
    The canning softens the bones so you can eat them too.

The best way I can think of findin out, would be to visit yer local Extension Office. Usually found in the Courthouse. Or you can look em up on the net. They can also test yer Pressure cooker to make sure its working right. Least ways, they do in Missouri. I imagine Kansas would be similar.

Hope this helps.
    bob

4. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    When I was little my mom would cut carp up in chunks then preasure cook and can them in jars. They were more like Mackeral or Salmon patties instead of tuna when fried up. I will talk to her today and try to post more info this evening.

5. Fatkat

Fatkat New Member

State:
    Blanchester, Ohio
    I talked to my mom today she said my dad would skin, gut and cut the mud veins out then she would cut them up in chunks then can them in a preasure cooker in jars like you would green beans. She said she couldn't remember for how long but if you got a canning book (I'm sure you could find it on the internet) it would give you the proper time for canning fish. If you can think of any other questions just post them and I'll ask her. I hope this helps.

6. kaleigh

kaleigh New Member

State:
    Lehigh Valley Pa
    Do you really eat Carp????? Catfish is great.....but carp ??:0a28: Talk to me,tell me they taste better than catfish.If they do,I will try them for sure.My problem is that I am a PATHETIC COOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Can they be smoked?? This I could handle>:rolleyes:

7. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

thanks guys!!and yes they can be smoked and are very good to eat at one time carp and bufflo fish where hihly prized fish, as far as them tasteing as good as cats..well i dont hink so my self i would take a channel over a carp any day.but carp can make some fine eating indeed, i really like bufflo i smoke them in the summer

8. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    Carp are not native and are considered a delicacy in Europe. They are very mild and if cleaned properly taste like cod. I have eaten many carp and enjoyed each bite. My grandparents ate the roe fried in butter with some corn meal. Grampa would skin and fillet the larger fish and carefully remove all the dark meat and mud lines. The meat was very thick and snow white. Smoked they are a real treat. I have eaten many fish canned and they are great. Some bay leave and garlic added to the jar really adds to the flavor. I hope to can some this summer.

Carp gained a bad rap due to their ability to survive in water that would kill other fish. They can take oxygen from the surface and this allows them to breathe where other fish suffocate. The scales if looked at under a magifine glass show rings that age them similiar to trees. I have seen some scales as large as a 50 cent piece.

Try them you may like them and they are also know as freshwater tarpon. I have had some that make a bass look lazy when it comes to jumping.