Pressure- Canning Deer Meat?

Discussion in 'The BOC Diner' started by catfishrollo, Dec 10, 2008.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Let's Here it!!! I'm planning on canning some deer meat, here as soon as I get one shot! Shoot me how you can your deer.. Do you use any sliced onion, garlic, in each jar? Beef-broth, or simply water.. Looking for some kick-but recipes... thanks, rollo

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Give Jim{OH NO} a pm,He posted how to can beef and chicken just a few days ago,I just cant recall where at,Either in Ramblins or the Ole f$rts club

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I remember that also reload... I will give him a shout! thanks man...rollo

4. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here's some other basic questions of mine...

1. Is it best to boil the chunked meat, or cook it in a skillet before canning?

2. How much water inside the canner itself?

3. Do you need to add canning salt to each jar of meat?

4. How long after the canning do you release the pressure? Or do you just let it sit for hours after shutting the stove off?

5. How long does the meat keep? years i take it?

thanks...rollo

5. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Jason, .I remember it being easy and a good time to drink a few brown bottles. and yes add a onion and some peppers to you water. dont boil the meat, put meat in jar raw.Put water in cooker up to the ring on canning jar.We add 1/2 tea spoon to each jar we put up.Go by the book that came with your cooker to tell when to release the pressure.If you have a book you cant go wrong.
    smokey

6. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Good Luck with it Jason. I love canned venison but have not done it myself before either. I want to get a large pressure canner and start doing it to...thanks for asking the question it will help me too.

7. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Neigbhbor called today, we cut up a deer... I chunked alot of it up, got it in the fridge... Recipes? LOL... come on you outdoorsmen... rollo

8. Pastor E

Pastor E New Member

State:
    Beebe AR
    Sorry but I have never tryed it wish I could help

9. Bricky

Bricky New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Cut your meat into 1 inch chunks. pack into quart jars to within 1 inch of top of jar. add 1 teaspoon canning salt to each quart. add a 1/4 cup of campbells beef broth use a good brand. make sure the top of jar and seal is clean and sterel. screw on lid and band firmly tight. Process in pressure cooker 75 minutes at 10 pounds of pressure

also if it not a Ball or Kerr jar dont use that is alot of heat for alot of minutes other jars will break in the canner while processing.

also I llke using wide mouth jars it is easier to get out of jar.

I just remove the canner from the heat and let it cool down on its own

10. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Some 10 or 12 years ago friends stated giving me some of their jars of canned venison. To this day their canned venison is the best I have ever eaten. They have used this same recipe over 20 years now. I will be canning more deer with this same recipe this week.

Here is their recipe (Credit goes to Harless and Jackie Belcher, Griffith Valley, VA):

Cut deer into 1 inch (or your preferred bite sized pieces)

Place in pan with just enough water to cover well.

Bring to a boil.

Foam will start forming on top as the blood cooks from the meat. Keep removing and discarding foam.

Boil until no more foam forms. Usually around 9 - 10 minutes.

Pack meat into clean, sterile canning jars. Add water or a good beef broth ( I make my own broth by simmering venison bones and trim with celery, onions, garlic, salt and pepper and carrots).

To each jar add:
    1 Tsp. Salt
    1 Tsp Cajun seasoning
    Pepper to taste
    1 TBS Worcestershire sauce
    1 slice of onion

Make sure rim of jar is clean and seal with sterile lid and jar ring.

Place in canner and cover with water.

Process 90 minutes at 10 Lbs. pressure

This meat is excellent in Stroganoff, "beef" and noodles, thickened and served over rice or potatoes, in soups or stews, chopped up and used in Hamburger Helper, used in hash, etc., etc.

I can eat it straight out of the jar! LOL

11. smokey

smokey New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ROLLO, you dont need a recipie. Do it like the book says or you DIE!!
    smokey

12. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Barb, when you say cover in water? are you saying the jars? im gonna use pint jars.. i didn't think you had to add that much water to a canner...? rollo

13. Netmanjack

Netmanjack New Member

State:
    Ohio
  14. Cattledogz

Cattledogz Active Member

State:
    NC
    Yep, the water should cover the jars.

What Jack said is true, many canning mistakes can be dangerous and even deadly.

Take the time to read on proper canning methods!

It would be a real shame to end up having to throw all that meat out but even worse making anyone seriously sick or dead from bad meat.

I am canning some up tomorrow.

15. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Well, I did 9 pints of deer meat today. I have to say it looks good! I boiled the meat for a bit, cut some onion up and fresh garlic. Added one clove to each jar, and some onion.. placed the cut meat in the jars with them, and filled them up with beef broth. then canned.. Can't wait to get into a jar! thanks for the help...rollo

16. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Sounds good, let us know how it turned out. Ya know Oz and Jerm will be cursin ya though for not put a jalapeno or half a haberno in with it...lol Shame Shame...
    Just kiddin ....hope it turns out great brother....

17. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Rolo You have perked up my curiousity I don't have any deer meat but I'll will be canning some Beef up one of these first days and maybe some fish if and when I can catch some more. I have plenty of time on my hands now as i have retired 7 weeks ago. I was in the meat business all my live working for the big boys and also I was owner operator of 2 meat shops and a packing plant for 15 years,and i use to process around 1500 deer a season and make all the sausage and jerky and I sorta got burned out on the deer It made me a ton of money though.I enjoy your posts and all the GOOD information you share with us. It's My Pleasure Knowing You Sir. God Bless and I hope to meet you someday.J.D.