Presses - Progressives vs. Turrets

Discussion in 'Guns - Blackpowder' started by derbycitycatman, Mar 1, 2009.

1. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Ive been reloading with a single stage press for a few years and its been fine for my 06 and 44. I plan on starting on 9mm and increasing production on the 44 too.

Any of you guys have experience with the progressives and turret presses? Im sure the turrets are about the same as singles you just get to leave your dies in the turret and turn it for the die you want? I guess what IM asking is the price difference worth it for the progressive over the turrets? Thinking of pulling the trigger on the Hornady AP progressive press, has a coupon for 1000 bullets for $370 or so. THe turrets I could get for under $100.

2. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    I am looking at the Hornady ap as well. I am keeping my rockchucker for my rifle stuff. I may try the hornady on .223 but my fine tuned stuff is single stage and extra care to get them better than factory for my specific rifle.

Most of the prices on the bullet offer is off 100.00 or so from what hornady says they are worth. But so what, you can count on 20.00 per box on any of them if you go buy them. Sweet offer other wise I would be looking at the Dillon 550 or 650.

If nothing else they are trading stock. natchezz shooting supply has them @ 369.00 if I remember. They are out of them but they have a link to notify you when they come in if you want.

3. iabowhunter

iabowhunter New Member

State:
    South East Iowa
    I agree with Jeff.

I started with a Lee single stage press and thought I had to have a mass producing press. I bought a RCBS ammo master auto and went to town. It was great untill the day I was at the range and snaped the trigger on my 357. The primer went off and my bullet lodged in the barrel. For some reason the powder dropper didn't drop any powder. Now I have a Lyman orange crush and take my time reloading. I've also had a Lee turret press. It worked great. Set it up and run through the stages. When it's time to change calibers, yank the turret out and put another one in.

I'm a huge Hornady fan but have never used their presses. I'm sure they make a good on though.

Dillion makes the cadillac of reloading presses IMO. I've never bought one because I didn't think I need one.

4. jedimanhunter

jedimanhunter New Member

State:
    Texas
    well I bit the bullet so to speak. I went on Natchez web site to click on the notify me button to let me know when they had the Hornady AP. I did not see the icon. That was because they have them in stock as we speak. I whipped out the bass pro visa and went to work. They did not have any shell plates or bushings so I will have to hunt them down.

The up side is I get 1% on the purchase at bass pro reward points which is only about 4.00 but thats 100 primers to go with the 1000 bullet offer.
    I looked up the bullets Hornady offers with the purchase in my latest Natchez catalog. The .45 or 308 are your best bang for your buck. The 308 were about 19.00 box and the .45 were about 20.00 box so thats about 200.00 in bullets. The .223 were about 12.00 a box.

Nontheless I got one coming. On sale for 369.00 shipped to my door with the NRA round up was about 400.00. I will sell some of my other junk to help pay for it. I hope I picked the right one. I am going for the .45 or .308 bullets in the offer.

5. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I've used Dillon progressives for pistol reloading for a long time,, I can't imagine doing it with anything else.... Cause, I have!! To me, definitely worth the money...
    Still use an old RCBS single stage for rifles, though..

6. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I was looking at the bullets and I do wish they had a bigger selection, Id be buying 44's and .308's. Still thinking so let us know how you like it jedi man!

7. xringer3

xringer3 New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I've used my single stage Rockchucker press for reloading my rifle rounds for over 20 years (same press). I would like a turret press for convenience, but I put on some lock rings on my dies from hornady, and have them set so it only takes a couple seconds to change them out.

As far as handgun rounds, I've been loading on a dillon 650 for years. When I was hot and heavy into shooting PPC competition, I was loading around 50,000 rounds a year on it for about 7 years. I can attest to the waranty on dillon products. If anything breaks, for ANY REASON, (was usally my fault), they'll replace the part for free! I've never got better service from any company for ANYTHING. The only company that equals it is Midway.

When investing in reloading equipment, get the best you can get. You never know if it's going to be the only thing you can get for quite some time. The better the equipment is, the more concentration you can have on what you're doing and not what your equipment's doing.

8. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    I never owned a progressive press but I've loaded many 1000,s of 38/357 cal.using an RCBS turrent press but I always used a single stage to load 3006 ect.