prespawn

Discussion in 'LOCAL PENNSYLVANIA TALK' started by xnmcclurex, Mar 3, 2009.

1. xnmcclurex

xnmcclurex New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh Pa
    when does the prespawn begin for flatheads? how long does it usually last and how long is spawning?

2. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It could be as early as mid April or late as June. But mostly during May. You just have to keep an eye on the water temp. I get small ones at around 55 to 60 degrees but after the 60 degree mark, the bigger ones start biting. This is a good time to catch the biggest female cause she's fatten up and full of eggs.

3. Scott LEmons

Scott LEmons New Member

State:
    PA
    How early do you guys start fishing for flatheads in the skuke?

4. I never targeted Flatties early in the year, just channels ususally in early March. Usuallly, when I can start catching chubs/sunnies is when I sart Flattie fishing. I would be interested in how early other members start Falltie fishing.

5. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    I started catching the small one in mid-April.

6. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I usually start targeting Flatheads sometime during May. 2008 was terrible early on due to water temps didn't hit 50* till late May on my stretch of the Allegheny. By the time the water hit 60* in early June it was spawn time! :crazy: Really took away from what should have been prime time Flathead bite! :sad2: That was my experience from last season on the mid Allegheny, perhaps others had different luck.

7. jolie

jolie New Member

State:
    PA
    with a larger than normal icepack on alleghany reservoir (and several others draining into the alleghany)-- it might again be a cold start to the year. again what to follow the calender or the temperature? both!

and to know that you're really don't know until your try. So are SO many variables that I think it would be hopeless for anyone to give you a hard and fast rule. anyway, good luck let us know when you start and espacially tell us when you start catching!!!

8. Fishing Addict

Fishing Addict Member

State:
    Spring Church, Pa
    For me the first two weeks of june last year were great averaged several big hookups a night, by the middle of the month nothin. This year im goin to start mid may for flats

9. catfish chaser

catfish chaser New Member

State:
    miamisburg, oh
    I usually start at the end of April for Flatties depending on how flooded the Ohio is. :confused2:

10. Youv'e caugh'em that early?:crazy: Cool. Any idea on the water temp?

11. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i hope ta start soon and use cut baits and see what hits, once the sunnies and bait fish start moving then i'll turn up the heat