preserving pioneer history

Discussion in 'Small Game Hunting' started by Shenandoah, May 22, 2008.

1. Shenandoah

Shenandoah New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Aight I'm trying to find out some of the tricks and tactics that some of the older folk used. One of the things I'm looking for is the plans or instructions on how to construct a rabbit box/rabbit trap. I've found people who know what they are but no one really knows how to make one. Can anyone out there help?
    Plus if you've got any other old time traps or ways that you want to pass on I'm I'd love to know about them as I'm sure others would. Thanks

2. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    no i havent ever made a trap. i catch mine when they get loose with a dip net,lol. the big ones dont run to bad. the babies do though. been chasing alot latley. need some new hutches.:big_smile:

3. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Pyramid Rabbit Traps are suppose to be the best but I've had success with a regular box style trap you get a the local co-op. Use apples covered in Vanilla scent as your bait.:wink:

4. Jesse168

Jesse168 Member

State:
    Memphis, Tennessee
    the best bait to lure rabbits into a trap is a slice of onion.

My grandfather taught me how to make rabbit box traps. He called them rabbit gums. You make a long narrow box and make a sliding door (vertical) for the entrance. You drill 2 holes (about 1" diameter) in the top of the box. One just past 1/2 way point of the box the other 1/2 way between there and the opening. The hole closest to the opening you put a forked stick in the hole. The other hole you cut a stick that will fit into the hole and go almost to the bottom of the inside of the boax and tall enough to stick up about 3-4 inches. You cut a notch in that stick to catch on the edge of the hole and the end be just off the floor of the box. Take another stick and cut it to the length from the opening to the knotched stick. Place that stick in the fork of the stick in the first hole. Then tie a string to the top of the knotched stick to the end of the long stick and tie another string to the other end to the sliding trap door. You have it set up to where when the knotched stick is hooked into the box the long stick that fits across the forked stick holds the door straight up. The forked stick acts as a cradle for the long stick. When the rabbit enters the box he will push on the knotch and release the stick and the door will drop. Just make sure the knotch in your stick is facing the open door.

Jesse

Jesse

5. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    A box trap is easy to make, but the trigger mechanism is the difficult part. The previous post had a good description if you can understand it. I've used different types, and made em for mice to cats.

6. JRicker

JRicker New Member

State:
    Tenessee
    If you google traps you will find some good sites with good info try primative trapping in google

7. TonyJr

TonyJr New Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Be sure to post pictures of it when you trap one!:big_smile: