Preserving home made stink bait

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by bluehunter, Oct 22, 2006.

1. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I am in the begining stages of creating home made stink bait and I have a question about preserving it. How do I go about preserving the bait to last for some time. I will be using plastic bowl containers for the bait and was just wondering how I can make it last. Any suggestions would be helpful or leads to others for help.

Brian.

2. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    Excellent post. I, too, have had problems preserving my homemade concoctions. Not only have I had to deal with it drying out and becoming moldy, but from the containers blowing up as well from the gas given off. I solved that problem by opening the lid from time to time, but then it would dry out. Any suggestions?

3. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks. i am sure there is something that is simple that can be added to the bait to keep it from molding and exploding. Thats what i am looking for. Do not want to use it only once than it goes bad from there. Maybe there is some kind of powder that can be used, or something. Do anybody work for a food company that knows this answer? I am sure that is is out there.

4. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    I have made a few types of cheese-based baits and you are right, they do dry out and cause the storage containers to explode.

To prevent the containers from exploding, you must fully 'cure' your bait first. Meaning, if you are using cheese,cat tails and chicken guts, you must ferment the ingredients and let the cheese finish giving off gas before storing it.

To keep the bait from drying out, store it in a screw-lid type container with a seal of some type that inlays in the inside upper part of the lid. Airtight is what we are going for here. Similar to the lids of everyday products you use. Also, store the bait in a cool, dry place, this is critical to prevent drying out.

As far as the mold goes, try sodium benzoate (spelling) in a powder form.

Any questions, let me know!

~Nathan

5. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Why not vacuum seal the bait in small portions, that way you only use what you need at the time. By using a vacuuming sealer you get all the air out of the bag and it wont freezer burn...

6. nathan8372

nathan8372 New Member

State:
    South Texas
    I have found that vacuum sealing a liquid-based product, espicially a stink bait, can ruin a vacuum sealer becuase it will suck the water portion (moisture) of the contents into the machine.

The only way this vacuum sealing would work is if you used the jar-style vacuum kit that is available for most food-savers.

~Nathan

7. bud1110

bud1110 New Member

State:
    East Texas
    Your right about that (IF), you try to vacuum it in the state it is. The way to do it is freeze it first, then vacuum seal it. That way there is no liquid to go into the machine, thus ruining it.

I have done this many times, and it works..

8. colten

colten Member

State:
    Texas
    I will have to try the vacuum sealing.

9. bluejay

bluejay Well-Known Member

State:
    Napoleon, Mo.
    I agree with bud. Vacum sealing best way to go.

10. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    The less air available to the bait prepackaging it, the less gas it will create and bulge the packaging you put it in. Although Ive often wondered at the store why the stinkbaits dont expand and explode......:confused2:

Ive been contimplating taking a large number of livers and grinding them in to pulp and adding carlic, flour, blood, anise oil and a few other ingredients to make my own stinkbait. What do you people put in your stinkbait concoction?

Kenny

11. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Some good points made. I would vacuum seal but I am making large portions and do not want to add these to my freezer at this time. Maybe if I buy a seperate deep freezer I 'll do it. But there is some solutions out there that can help with preserving and you can store it at room temperatures. Just need to know ways of going about doing that. Same way that food production companies preserve theres and also the well known bait manufactories do.

12. gillfish

gillfish New Member

State:
    California
    Bluehunter, I'm going to assume you're trying to use some type of baitfish or liver. So, in order for it to be natural and cost efficient, try a food dehydrator. Dry the bait or liver and then add the non perishables. I don't know if these are the ingredients you're trying to use, but I hope it helps. Good luck! Gillfish

13. Bigun

Bigun New Member

State:
    Burnet, TX
    I grind equal portions of Heads on Bait shrimp, Beef Suet. and Cheese scraps. Five pounds of each is a good batch size. Then mix in cattails until it is about as dry as you can mix it. Put it in a 1 to 2 1/2 gal bucket. I drill a 1/32 Dia hole horizontally just below where the lid seals. Set this out in the Summer sun for a few weeks. Remix and add more cattails as it melds together.I store it over the winter in the pump house so it doesen't freeze. If you are going to use minnows or shad you want to dry them before you grind them. I like the indicated ingredents better. I add some garlic powder and oil of Anice in moderation. If the batch size gets to large it doesn't work the same. I have put it into a 120°F storage oven for a few weeks and the batch size doesn't seem to matter if it reaches a uniform temperature and stays there.

14. LiquidSteel

LiquidSteel New Member

State:
    La Vista N
    Im thinking Im going to have to try this "recipe". It sounds like it could work really well! Thanks for the info!!!

15. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Good ideas fellas. When you say dry the shad/minnows do you mean let sit out in the sun for a while and then mix it in the bait? What about guts? I was also thinking of using trout guts. How does guts work in the mix?

16. gillfish

gillfish New Member

State:
    California
    Hey Bluehunter, Pro-Cure freeze dries it's minnows, etc. Sounds expensive, but they say it not only preserves, but it also retains the natural oils, etc., etc. Good Luck Gillfish

17. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    I was going to mix the cheese straps along with some liver contents and blood for one batch and then do some liver contents with bait straps for the other and also cheese straps for the other. Just experimenting nowand need a way to keep the paste preserved so it will last a little while. I will like put them in my empty sonnies tubs that I have.

18. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Those store brought brands like Sonnies. Hog Wild, and Wicked sticky I believe use some form of powder based preservative I think. A guy I know manufactures his own bait and he went to scientific website sites to research and hook up with a scientist to preserve his batch that he sales. I would ask him but dont want him to think that I am infringing on his preservative secrets,. Thats why i am trying to find out on my own. But I seen some of the manufacturing at work and I believe that it is some form of powder or something.

19. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

At catfisc******** they have the freeze dried additives to add to doe bait. So I think freeze drying maybe the way to go with helping to preserve the bait. There is also MSG that is a preservitive you could try. It is found in meat tenderizer and by itself in the spice isle of the grocery store.

20. bluehunter

bluehunter New Member

State:
    Los Angele
    Thanks for the information.