Preserving cut shad

Discussion in 'Homemade baits' started by justwannano, Nov 18, 2006.

1. justwannano

justwannano Active Member

State:
    SE Iowa
    Wal Mart sells preserved cut shad.
    I know of a place that I can dip net live shad 100 pounds at a time this winter.So I'm thinking why not preserve cut shad for this summers fishing.Only thing I don't use cut shad very often and I have no idea of the best way to even cut it.
    Also what is the liquid it is preserved in.
    I've read that shad guts is a good bait. Whats the best way to keep it?

2. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    the cutting part is easy cut them in two or three equal chunks the preserving part thats something else i havent had good luck myself but a buddy of mine tried salting them heavily then freezing and they did work reasonably well good luck and let me know if you find something that works

3. BAM

BAM New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Bob, put the shad on ice as soon as you get em caught, unless the air temp is below 40, then you don't need the ice. when you get the shad home, bag em up in ziplock bags, then in the freezer. I found that once shad are thawed they become mushy quick, so I don't thaw em before going fishing. Frozen shad cut easily, and then will thaw quickly once in the water.

4. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have a food saver vaccum sealer you can get them at wal-mart. Just put the shad in the bags made for the unit and vaccum seal them. It works great good luck.

5. screamnclickersc

screamnclickersc New Member

State:
    S.C.
    I vacuum seal my shad whole also.When you seal/freeze them in cut pieces,they still dry out.