Preserving Bait

Discussion in 'Catfishing Baits' started by Spencer_Blanton, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Spencer_Blanton

Spencer_Blanton New Member

State:
    Franklin, Ohio
    It's going to be a while before I can put together a decent minnow tank in the garage, so I need to consider my preservation options. I am going to target shad. Several people have talked about freezing them, but I'll need more detail as to how they freeze them. With water? Individually? Also, has anyone salt cured or air dryed them? Any suggestions would be helpful.

(I just bet I jinxed myself by planning to preserve bait I have not caught yet...)

Spencer

2. catmanofohio

catmanofohio New Member

State:
    Aberdeen (Southern Ohio)
    Ok i live in Adams CO ohio and right along the river... we used to freeze shad and skip jacks by taking zip-lock baggies and just putting about 15-20 shad per gallon baggie no air nor water.... they stay good for about 1 year!!! FISH HAPPY!!! take kids outdoors

Matt Stratton

3. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I'd have to agree with catmanofohio,I do the same thing with creek chubs that i catch all winter. I put close to 15 in each bag and squeeze all the air out of the bag before freezing.

4. photocat

photocat New Member

State:
    HOCO, Maryland
    i'd say it has to do with how soon your gonna use them too, if your going to use them with in days just fill up an ice chest 3/4 the way w/ ice and keep the shad on ice(in bags so that the melt water doesn't effect the fish). If its going to be longer then i'd go with (depending on the size of the shad, the ones i have right now are 14+ inches long) individual bagging for the large shad (over a foot or so), bagging a couple together for mediums (12-7 inches, 4 or so per bag) and then a bunch per bag with the smaller ones.

To keep them firm, untill you get that bait tank set up (some really good ideas in the library i think). just keep an ice chest next to you when your castnetting or how ever your doing the collection of the bait and dump the shad in there ASAP. then get them in bags and in the freezer

5. BIG GEORGE

BIG GEORGE New Member

State:
    JOISY
    Simply bag em up according to how many ya like to take with ya on a fishin trip and you will be fine. I do it all the time with bait.
    I can see it now. Here comes the frozen vs. fresh bait debate! LOL!
    Just ask them 2 "HOG" blues DH got this year about frozen bait. LOL!

6. bhunt

bhunt New Member

State:
    *Required*
    I have a food saver machine that sucks all the air out of the bag and seals it. It works great.

7. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    If I'm catching shad for freezing I like to ice them as soon as I caatch them. The don't seem to get as soft

8. dinkbuster1

dinkbuster1 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i bag them in a ziplock freezer bag (kroger brand, just as good+cheaper), fill half way with water, and force all the air out. i also lay them flat and stack them in the freezer, makes for more room in the freezer and later in the cooler. also i bag them according to their size and how many i'll need on a trip. no need to freeze 30 shad together in a huge bag when youll only use 5 or so. once their thawed out you cant re-freeze them, they get too mushy next time thawed and all the oils are usually gone. i read somewhere that if you add salt before freezing they thaw out better. anyone? BTW, if ya wanna load up and freeze shad nows the time to get them while the river is raging!!!

9. ersel

ersel New Member

State:
    Haughton Louisiana
    I've had trouble with the salt the water or liquid in the shad doesn't freeze. maybe I had to much salt.