Preserve Now, And For Later!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Jan 27, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    No techniques nor tactics to be discussed here. However, we need to do more in my opinion to preserve what we have now, and make sure something is left later in catfishing. I have seen first hand the decline in the quality of fishing over the past years where I live. There has been some limits placed as of late, but WE ALL need to do more to protect these fish in our fisheries! Please practice any sort of conservation! Whether you are 100 percent CPR or not! Even if you are 10 percent catch and release, try to get it to 20 percent! We ALL need to start taking a different path to ensure quality fishing for years to come! I want to see my children catching big fish, and would like to see yours on here as well doing the same!!!!! The only way we can improve and keep what we have, is for each and every one of you to do something towards catfish, besides raising a sharp piece of steel!!!!! rollo

2. dankitch

dankitch New Member

State:
    Henderson,
    I agree Jason. Practice and teach CPR as much as possible.

3. hunted

hunted New Member

State:
    washington court house,oh
    yep,need to preserve for the future for everyone.

4. lendog

lendog New Member

State:
    berks, PA
    i agree, i'm 100% CPR (except for sunnies and gills :smile2:), and plan to continue, also preserving :0a19:my good spots is on the list

5. BobbyLee

BobbyLee New Member

State:
    Zanesville, Ohio
    I agree with you Jason; That we have to do more to preserve what we now have with catfishing so that our children and others can enjoy the experience of catching some of these fine fish...

6. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    Jason
    There can't be enough said about conservation of our sport. My thoughts are I hope my grand kids can have as good or better time while on the water chasing catfish as I have. In order for that to happen everyone has to do their part to conserve the species.

7. misterwhisker

misterwhisker New Member

State:
    T. Bowl
    my boys usally fight over who gets to release the fish....but its cool when they say catcha later :cool2:

8. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    Rollo,

You need to make sure the Mighty Muskingum gets polluted like the Schuylkill thus in turn make the catfish from the Muskingum to be less desirable to be eaten.

In order for a water to become a great fishery, you must never eat them, but let them back so your children and even grandchildren can catch em.

Take great fisheries like the Red River Manitoba, James River Virginia, and Schuylkill River PA as an example. In these rivers whether big or small, most fish are released back. No catfish nuggets or blackened flathead for us:smile2:! By releasing all fish, it allows us to be consistent on our catches year in and year out. Instead of a declining fishery, through rleaseing all fish, they are just getting bigger and bigger as the years go by and I can't wait to see what gets dragged on the bank in 2009!

9. smoothkip25

smoothkip25 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I feel the same way! Im 100% CPR and have turned alot of buddies of mine on it also. I think we all should spread the word on the positive impact on our local fisheries and get others hooked on CPR!

10. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Great post rollo, you know I feel the same way.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Blacky, you are very wise...If more people felt like you our sport would be in good hands.

12. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i agree fully and i feel its more important now than anything with the rising cost of things.

13. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    I do agree ,Im new to fishing Do to having a troubled past.Now fishing
    has came my hobbie.In the last couple of years .I saw some crazy stuff.
    Like Me putting a 36# er in a bucket just to show off my frist big cat .Which I seen him swim awayLUCKEY to be alive.An A 47#er in back of a truck at the local bait store.Which I saw him swim away also.Im just saying that We do need to think about cpr.Or my part of the river is going to fall off.An Our kids will never beat our pb.
    I now dont fish the touraments .Do to the things I seen.Even the well know Local fishing club , Throws there fish off of a bank .With about a 15 foot drop off .in to about a foot of water.Now thats crazy.

14. centexcop

centexcop Well-Known Member

State:
    Texas
    Yes, I totally agree with preserving for future generations. When I fish, I don't keep fish every time. If I am in the mood for fresh catfish or if the stock in my freezer is running low, yes I'll keep some. I never keep big fish.

There has to be a certain amount of fish taken though. If you never ate any fish, the fish would become over populated and your big fish would decline. Too many fish makes it too easy to catch fish. Just my opinion.

15. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    you might see channels over populated but i dont think flatheads will ever be or you would catch alot more than we do you can always catch alot of channels but not flats

16. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    I CPR all catfish I catch, there's plenty of fish to eat at Long John Silvers and Red Lobster.

17. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    I AGREE WITH THAT.i TAKE A FEW SMALLER FISH EVERY ONCE IN AWHILE,BUT I RELEASE EVERYTHING OVER 10#.LAST YEAR I MIGHT HAVE KEPT A TOTAL OF 8 FISH ALL AROUND 4# AND 5#.EVERY TIME I CATCH A BIG FISH ITS A GREAT RUSH FOR ME AND I WANT OTHER PEOPLE TO ENJOY IT TO SOME OF THE FISH I HAVE CAUGHT WILL PROBLY BE A RECORD SOME DAY AND I CANT CATCH THEM AGAIN I HOPE SOME ELSE DOES.HOPEFULLY ONE OF OUR KIDS OR GRANDKIDS.

18. catfisherman369

catfisherman369 Floyd

State:
    Nashville Il.
    i do keep eaters off and on through the year but nothing over about 10 pounds and the lake i keep them from is loaded with cats , channels , flats , and even caught a blue out of it last year been fishing there since 95 and havent seen a blue till last year . also has lots of bass some in 10 pound range and lots of crappies

19. wolfman

wolfman Well-Known Member

State:
    Triadelphia, WV
    Name:
    Walter Flack
    Uncle Scifi once told me that...we dont own the river and lakes we fish in or the land we hunt on, but rather that we borrow it from our children and the generations to come.

20. tomsfishing4

tomsfishing4 New Member

State:
    pa
    i couldnt agree more i am always 100% cpr with whatever i am fishing for O with the exception of bait ofcourse:wink: