Presentation on the river - What would you do?

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by Gone fishin 4 kittys, Dec 30, 2005.

1. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was wondering what kind of presentation you guys would use for this spot on the river:

The attachments below are some pictures of the spot but letme describe it to you:

We are fishing above the river from a ledge, a dam is right by it. The water is moving pretty fast! I like to fish at the end of this little pier and cast straight out so not to far into but into the the middle of the area.

We usually use shad or live bluegill.

I usually use an one and half once egg or 2once. I think I'm gonna start using no rolls so my stuff won't roll all over the bottom of the river.

I was just wondering what kind of bait and presentation you guys would use?

Note: the last Picture us bigpappa's.

Josh

Attached Files:

2. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks!!

Yeah it was big I couldn't believe I caught it on shad I didn't think they would bite on it. Thier so much around the dam that maybe they are forced to.

Josh

3. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    The heck with a no-roll--I'd use a sinker that's extremely likely to hang up; maybe even a sputnik sinker. Attach the sinker with a lighter line so I could break off the hung-up sinker when I got a bite. Aim my cast for the top of the dam so that the sinker washes down to just the right spot and hangs up. Wait for a bite.

4. Ol Whiskers

Ol Whiskers New Member

State:
    Fairfield Township, Ohio
    put an 8 to 10 inch chub, hook thru the eyes on a 7/0, right on the lower edge of the boil at the base of the dam and hang on. Live & cut shad, bluegill, shiner, sheepehead, carp,

5. TDawgNOk

TDawgNOk Gathering Monitor (Instigator)

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Josh, looks like a great spot!!

Good luck with it!

6. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the input guys.

There has been some real big cats caught out of thier. Just not by me :sad:

jtrew,

Thank You so very much!!! I would have never thought of that. That plan is perfect! I always wana get closer to the dam but it always pushes my bait down the river. You would need like a 5lb wieght to get it to stay anywhere. This way I hope I get caught up on something and not loose the hooks.

--------------------------------

Below is the what I think it should look like! What do you guys think?

Any sort of weight should work besides eggs and no rolls don't you think?

How many pound test do you think the line going to the weight should be? If its not strong enough it will fly off when I cast it.

Josh

Attached Files:

7. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Josh,

Use something very light, like 5lb.

For the sinker, take a couple of tire weights, drill holes through one end, carfully bend them slightly in the middle to make kind of an L shape outta them. They'll catch in the rocks easy.

8. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Tony,

You don't think if I use 5 it would break off from the rest of the line??? I might try the tire weight for sure. They are hard to find around here, they recyle them all again. I don't think new cars use them.

Josh

9. TDawgNOk

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Josh, you WANT it to break when you get a fish on!!!

10. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    I would use a sinker sacrificer rig. First, eliminate the 3-way swivel. In its place tie on a modified 'J' hook. To modify the 'J' hook, use wirecutters and cut the point off just above the bottom bend; use a small, very stout hook. Tie the sinker on with your 5# (or whatever test you choose) line, then tie a 4" length of very heavy mono (at least 50# test) with a large loop in the end. You have to use the heavy mono so that the loop stays in an open position, rather than closing up. When you get ready to cast, simply use the heavy mono to hang the sinker on the modified 'J' hook; the pressure of casting is all on the heavy mono, so there's no danger of it breaking. When the rig hits the water, the open loop pops off the 'J' hook, leaving the sinker attached by the light line.

11. the_nis

the_nis Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    Hey Jerry,

Do you have any pics of the rig you just explained? I got kinda lost in the explanation...

Jason

12. bearcat

bearcat Member

State:
    Nokomis, Illinois
    the way we rig when fishing below a dam. First using a palomar knot tie your hook in the main line about a foot from the tag end. Then tie on a good swivel. On the end of the swivel tie on a lighter mono break away line. Then tie on your sinker. I use 80 lb power pro main line and 20 lb mono break away line. Use a foot or more of break away line , depends on the place. Cast out and wait for the sinker to catch on something. Tighten up your slack and wait for the fish to bite. When you set the hook the break away will snap and then it is fight on.

I like useing 4 to 6 oz bank sinkers or pyrmid sinkers which ever you have on hand.

With this rig the sinker on the bottom will carry the weight of the bait through the air and keep it from helicoptoring. It also keeps the bait of the bottom a little ways.

13. Gone fishin 4 kittys

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Thanks for the responces you guys!!!

I can't wait to try those rig out this coming spring!!!!

Josh