Present Lake Conditions

Discussion in 'NEBRASKA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by catman-j, Feb 22, 2009.

1. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I took the wife for a drive today because she likes to take pictures. We drove to several lakes, their condition is as follows:
    Walnut Creek Lake, partial open water
    Wehrspahn/Chalco, no open ice- honeycombed
    Zorinsky, a few small patches of open ice
    Standing Bear, few patches of open water
    Summit Lake, Completely frozen over, people still ice fishing:eek:oooh:
    Desoto Bend, open ice out in the middle, honeycombed

IT WON'T BE LONG!

2. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Thank's for the report jeff,Good Job.Reps ypur way J.D.

3. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I will probably do the same report in 2 weeks except for Desoto.
    As soon as the ice is gone I'm going to Zorinsky and try to catch a blue.

4. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    bluestem wagontrain stagecoach and hedgefield all have ice in the morning but open up around 10 or so plan to start hittin the shallows again monday afternoon and late tuesday morning now that i got a canoe for the shallows..:roll_eyes:

5. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Are Branched Oak and Pawnee open yet?

6. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    thats way way north of me... if i make it out that way for some reason ill check and post..

7. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    thanks, and while you're there stop and ask the park employees why there's beer available there even though you're not supposed to have alcohol in the park:confused2:

8. skawez

skawez Member

State:
    Hickman, Ne
    Name:
    Steve
    this is nebraska.. catch 22 ... they can sell it and you may even get to have it as long as its not an open container yet once its open or you get the wrong warden none of its gonna matter .. your busted

by the way i was told wild woods open... so i was told yesterday.. so i assume pawnee and branched oak are also wildwood isnt far way from them and the rest are open in the afternoon if there aint already in the morning.. but here comes another cold front.. now we can start the whole thing over agian :crazy:

9. colburn

colburn New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    drove to zorinsky and whearpan today myself whearsphan is open enough to get a boat in but cant wait till zorinsky opens up myself I had a lot of luck out there last year not to many big blues though hopefully i can get them what u catch them bi blues on there last year is there shad or purch in zorinsky?

10. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I have yet to catch a catfish period at zorinsky but my boat is very suitable for no wake lakes. Since it is a city park we are allowed to be there until 11:00. I watched a news report last fall that reported on netting results done by game and parks and there are some really nice blues and channels in there. I think I'll wait at least another week before I head out. Thanks!

11. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    went to East Twin Lake yes. afternoon with Dad first time out this year for me didnt take the boat just fished off the bank didn't have one single nibble !! Had four lines out to !! Talked to a guy that come in with his boat he didn't have any luck either he was fishing for crappie. Said the water temp. was 38 - 39 so little cool yet !! We didnt try any crappie, cat only. :smile2: Boat dock still messed up from some idiot hitting it with his car !! Any way was a nice day and I'm ready to go again ! :smile2::cool2:

12. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    I was out checking on Zorinsky and Wherspan. Z has lots of open water but the boat ramp area is still ice covered. W is open water except in the coves. The boat ramp are is open water and the ramp is in. I read on the Nebraska site that Walnut Creek lake is open water now but the boat ramp is still out.

13. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    At the risk of being a smart ace !! :smile2: Did they realy take the BOAT RAMP OUT !! :smile2::smile2:

14. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    They pull the boat dock up to the top of the hill way out of the water for the winter and put it back in in the spring. When I said ramp I meant dock.

15. Big Vic

Big Vic New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I knew that !! Just thought I would mess with ya :smile2::smile2: Wish they would have done that at east Twin :smile2::smile2:

16. colburn

colburn New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    well if you ever need so,meone to fish with at zorinsky let me know i go out there a lot got a few good holes but want to fish whearspan a lil more this year heard driftin blood out there works well very hard to drift at z

17. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    Saturday We went trout fishing at 2 rivers. We each bought 1 tag and both got our 4 fish. The water was ice cold and there was still some ice around the shore in places. It was my wife's first time trout fishing and she loved it. My fishing buddy came out and bought 2 tags and caught 7 fish. He couldn't get the 8th because we ran out of daylight and the trout lake closes at sundown. I tried to get bass and catfish to bite but didn't get a bite. Today we went up to Boyer Chute to try the river. Not a bite. Tried nightcrawlers, turkey liver and trout heads. Then we went to Zorinsky but nothing was biting there either and there was ice around the legs of the dock.
    I think I'll wait until April to fish around here.

18. catman-j

catman-j New Member

State:
    Eastern Nebr
    are biting at summit

19. jrgriffhusker

jrgriffhusker New Member

State:
    Minden, Nebrask
    I can't believe you guys still have ice on the lakes back there. I've taken my boat out twice already this year. Found out I need an impellar on my tourney boat and got skunked two weeks ago. But last week I caught six little channies but they sure did taste good.:smile2: Good luck and I'll let you know how we are doing out here in BFE. LOL

20. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    Tried my hand fishing the 1st time for the 2009 season. NO LUCK! Used nightcrawlers, shrimp and frozen shad. Had a few promising bites, but no takers. I'm guessin the water temp is still in the low 40's. Heard that some walleye in the 16-18" range are being caught. Didn't see anybody catch any fish while I was there.

Checked out Elwood Res too. Very low. Hoping they get some good rain to help the lake out. What a shame to see it low again. Some say it's low from seppage, but I disagree. I'm saying it was at 50% capacity last fall, but now it's back at around 17-20% capacity. That's alot of lost water. I'm thinking the water was diverted into the canal for irrigation supply. Not sure. Haven't heard any believable facts on this!!