Preparing your Camo.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Whiskers4life, Aug 24, 2005.

1. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    I remember when I was still a youngin' growing up, my father used to take an old steel pot, like a 5 gallon pot, and fill it water and leaves....and put it on a flame to heat it up, just enough to settle the leaves, and make the water murky.....Then he would take his clothes, and stew them in it for a couple days.....And he also had another technique, he used to smoke his clothes also, I am just wondering if anyone has tried this and how well it works, I have no idea, I was just a newbie back then.....LoL.....

2. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    I have heard of the "stewing" but have never tried it. I did used to store my camo in bags full of dried leaves or cedar. Never heard of the "smoking". Not sure what help it would do.

I don't worry to much about smells on me in the woods. First off, I hunt using the wind to my favor. Also, with plenty of cattle on the place I hunt, on the way to my blind, I step on a cow paddy or 2. They are used to that smell leaving trails throughout the woods. I got to remembering all the deer I have killed, awhile back. Wrote everything down cause my memories can't be trusted anymore. ( I wish I could put a smiley face after that remark, but it's getting to the point it aint funny anymore) Anyway, I noticed several patterns. Surprising me most was that well over half the deer I have shot, was while I had a smoke in my mouth at the time. Also, 3/4 were shot from the ground, even though I used tree stand more often than not. After seeing that pattern, I gave up on climbing those death traps and hunt now from a blind only. These ol bones don't make climbing easy anymore anyway. Next pattern was that 90% of does were killed in the evening hunt, while 90% of the bucks were right at daylight. I have adjusted my hunting times now to that. Buck season see me out only in the morning and I get to sleep in during our doe season.

Sorry for rambling on in your thread.

3. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    That is true, I have seen the mst deer on my way out in the morning, just before I climb my tree....but its like 3 in the morning when I start the walk on out.......I just recently bought a new rifle, just before the season opened last year, and I need to find a lighted Reticle scope for it, right now I have a Leupold 3x9x40 which is just fine firing through cover, but its even better looking across the feild.....My father also uses those earth Scents wafers.....Said hes had good luck on those too I guess.....So I dont know what to try this year.....maybe something new will pop I can try, I dont know....Thanx and great times....

4. CatfishWEIRDO

CatfishWEIRDO New Member

State:
    Madison WI
    Anyone use ScentBlocker clothing and if so does it work well Havent used it yet just picked it up this year.

5. coalminer78

coalminer78 New Member

State:
    Lincoln, IL
    I've used Scentblocker it seems to work for me

6. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I wash my cloths in scent free soap and then let them dry outside if I can. I also use the scent blocker spray. I shot a huge buck last year after i just put a smoke out. My father in law swears that after the first day you could walk into the woods and take a dump in your pants thats it wont matter in the least.....LOL I wouldnt know as I havent tried this yet or going to.

7. three_rivers

three_rivers New Member

State:
    Tupelo Ar
    Most of the time, i usually will wear my ol blue jeans and a t shirt with my hunting jacket over it. I to use the wind in my favor. That why i'm sold on climbers. They take care of it for me. The only thing i won't do is use the bathroom in my hunting spot. Other than that i don't really worry bout it.

As for deer, all of the bucks i've killed has been in the mornin. Id see them really early but all but one has been killed after 930 in the mornin with does. Seems like they had us patterned too. My brother would leave out and the fellas up above us would go to camp and they'd start movin. I'd sit in a stand all day just to get a shot at one and done it several times and it would pay off. Most of the times i get to the stand at 5 o'clock and wouldnt leave til dark. I'd just take me a lunch and a thermos with some hot chocolate and i'd be set. All the guys thought i was crazy until i brought out a good buck. Now some of them do it to. :D

8. hookeye

hookeye New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I too wash my hunting clothes in scent free soap, and I store them in sealed bags of cedar chips.

9. sam9266

sam9266 New Member

State:
    Albany, GA
    I used to use those earth scent wafers and fresh pine limbs/needles in a trash bag too but the most important thing to me was that the actual boots,clothes,hat,gloves,etc that I hunted in didnt get put on until I was out of the truck and ready to walk in then as soon as I got to the truck they came off and went right back into the bag of earth wafers and pine limbs. Its funny how I see hunters fueling up in the morning on the way to go hunting wearing the exact clothes and boots they will wear in the woods. Spilled gas and oil and what not all over the place.. standing in puiddles of fuel then they get to the land and squirt a little fox pee or deer pee or whatever to "cover up" the scent.
    Its been proven that deer dont smell the same way we do.. like one Biologist once told me.. deer have the ability to sepperate smells where we dont.. as an example he told to imagine veggie soup... we small veggie soup.. deer smell peas,carrots,cellery, etc. Im a firm beleiver in eliminating scent rather then covering it up.

Of course it all depends on where you hunt, the surrounding, the pressure , etc. Im also a smoker but I dont smoke in the stand or while wearing my hunting clothes.. unless I know Ill be washing them that day.. scent free soaps and air dry ofcourse. I know a lot of smokers defend smoking in the stand with stories of nice deer shot while or just after smokeing but you will never know what other deer were out there that you just didnt see and dont realize that they were on to you. Sure.. you killed a nice 8 point while smoking.. but maybe there was a nicer and SMARTER buck out there too that wasnt fooled... youll never know.

Wind is the deciding factor in where I hunt each and every time. I will not chance spooking a nice buck just to hunt a hot spot. Im a firm beleiver that usually.. once a mature quality buck is onto you at a certain spot that the smarter ones (usually the nicer bucks) will have a mental note stored and everytime he enters that area he WILL be on alert and more cautious. I have filmed lots of deer out of climbers with in site of built stands where the deer can be seen checking out the built stand long before they could be seen from it. Ive hunted many many what I called skirt trails... good locations where people built perm. stands and the deer learned it and adjusted their travel trails to skirt around it. I have filmed deer 20 yards from me blowing or stomping at someone in a stand hundreds of yards away. Now there will be many many nice deer shot while people are smoking and after fueling up and even while wearing scented deodorants, etc. but I think these are more exceptions to the rule. To be CONSISTANTLY succesful scent must be one of your main factors in hunting deer.

Just my opinion... Sam

10. derbycitycatman

derbycitycatman Well-Known Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Sorry but Ive got to laugh about all the scent elimination products out there.
    Have you seen the hunting gum thats out now or the cough suppressor? LOL

But on to the subject, I wash my hunting clothes without soap, just water in the machine. Then I just hang it outside in a tree and put it in a fresh black garbage bag. Sometimes I will put a couple pine branches in the bag and wala pine scent. Just make sure to fuel up before you go hunting, dont want gas on your hands.

Last year I got a B & C buck about 20 minutes before dark, the year before that a muzzleloader buck in the 150 class about 1:30 pm, well after everyone else headed in.

Dang aint Kentucky great. :)

11. CatfishWEIRDO

CatfishWEIRDO New Member

State:
    Madison WI
    Sam good post thanks for sharing your info

12. Whiskers4life

Whiskers4life New Member

State:
    Wisconsin
    Hey Scott, give me a call sometime, you got my number.....

13. SSG Johnson

SSG Johnson New Member

State:
    Saint Robert Missouri
    I have heard others speak about the exact same thing even that sometimes it seem to bring them in.

14. quadman

quadman New Member

State:
    Danville, Virginia
    I like to wash my camo in a homebrew scent killer first, then I throw real pine needles into the dryer with the clothes to dry, if I plan to hunt pines. I do the same with cedar too. I've tried accorns but really can't tell a difference with them. Around here your gonna be around either pines or cedar most of the time so it works. After the clothes are done drying I put them in a scent free bag with either pine needles or cedar, sometimes even both. Make sure you don't just throw the needles or what not into the dryer loosely, I stuff them in a pair of scent free panty hose and knot it up.

15. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas
    You guys really dont think smoking makes a difference? Man, i used to smoke and couldn't smell the stench of cigarette smoke. I actually smoked for 10 years and quit, just over 4 years ago. Now i can smell someone who's smoked a cigarette from miles away. Not trying to knock the smokers, but you really cant tell that you smell of cigarette smoke unless your can smell, and smoking takes away the ability to smell that, or at least most of it. I know if i can smell it from 10 feet away, a deer can smell it from alot farther away than that. Im with Sam9266, you might have killed a big one, but there might have been a better one that could smell you.

16. MadKater

MadKater New Member

State:
    Evansville,IN
    about the only thing i do is wash my clothes in scent free soap and hang them outside.no matter what you spray on you or what kinda scent eliminating clothes you wear a deer is gonna smell you.you just have to play the wind.atleast thats how i see it.

17. Txbluecatman

Txbluecatman Member

State:
    Texas
    I wash my camo in just water and air dry, but its all about playing the wind. As long as the wind is in your favor you will already be ahead of the game. JMHO.

18. VerotiK

VerotiK New Member

State:
    Harrison, Arkansas

I tried this over the weekend. I took cedar and pine needles and put them inside an old pillow case and put it in the dryer with my clothes after i washed them in scent free detergent. They came out smelling faintly like cedar. The next morning i was sitting in a tree 15' up, and had a deer walk right beneath me and then circle downwind, never knew i was there. Thanks for the idea!

19. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    I don't anything in particular. Just wash them in regular laundry detergent with an extra rinse and air dry them. I store them in a storage bin like you get at wally world with fresh cut cedar chips. Then when I hang them in my closet in the camper during the season I toss the cedar in with them. I've had many deer right under my stand and have still hunted to within 30 yards of a bedded 8 point buck one time. Course I try hard to keep the wind in my face most of the time.