Preparing Goldfish for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by adam5206, Mar 27, 2006.

1. adam5206

adam5206 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    What is a good way to prepare goldfish for flatheads in small ponds. Average fish here are usually about 20-50 pounds.

2. SwiftWater

SwiftWater New Member

State:
    Central Virginia
    prepare a goldfish? lol
    you aren't using them for tablefare are ya?

j/k

i usually hook behinde the dorsal fin, or through the the bottom lip up through the nostril of goldfish.

good luck, and welcome to the boc

3. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    If you mean by "prepare" getting the bait ready to use. I would dump about half of the water out of the bait bucket and replace it with water from the pond you are fishing and give the goldfish a little time to adjust before using them. We can't use goldfish for bait here in Pa.:sad: But I learned that from a Catfish video!

4. adam5206

adam5206 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    lol. What I mean is how to present them. A friend that a used to fish with last summer said you break there tail somehow that doesnt kill them, and they have to flutter and cant lay on the bottom. Does anyone know how to break there tail without killing them?

5. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Adam, I've never heard of breaking their tail, but if you cut off most of the tail fin, you should get the same results. Stay out of the meat, clip the fin only and they should last as long as unclipped. A pair of scissors will work, or a cutting board and sharp knife.
    Rat

6. Jroc777

Jroc777 Member

State:
    Evansville, IN
    I have also heard of people scaling one side of the fish to make it swim erratically. Me personally I just hook em and throw em in. I figure the more natural it looks the better.

7. FlatGetter

FlatGetter New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I want to know where that pond is, fish averaging 20-50#:) (LOL). Sometimes I will cut off some of the tail of a bigger baitfish if I dont want to switch weight sizes. But that does make them lay more on the bottom and become inactive. I usually throw a bait alive thats not hurt and a bait scaled alittle.