Preparing gear for the season .......

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by RetiredToFish, Feb 19, 2008.

1. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Must of us during this time of year prepare our equipment for the up-coming season of fishing. We grease, oil and clean our reels and put new line on them and we are ready to go ........ Well, I just talked with a friend of mine in Florida and the lucky dog was fishing over the weekend and tied into a large catfish. He said he fought it for about 15 minutes when the line parted at the tip of the rod. He said he couldn't understand because he had just put new line on the reel the day before. He got to looking at the rod and found that the ceramic insert in the eyelet on the end of the rod was cracked and while fighting the fish the line got pulled down into the crack and the sharp edges of the ceramic broke the line.

After we hung up I got to thinking about it and checking the eyelets was something I hadn't done on my rods. Wouldn't you know the tip eyelet on one of my heavy rods had a crack and a small chip in the ceramic insert, right at the bottom of the eyelet where the line would ride .... So wanted to advise everyone to check their rods ... don't want to hear any more stories about the big one that got away because of something so small ....... Garry- :cool2:

2. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    that is the exact reason why in my other thread i said check the eyelets, i have seen and heard of this many of times over the years. you wouldn't think a small crack or chip could do such destruction, but at pressure onto the line, and it creates disaster! Another tell true sign of this, for monofilament users, is seeing a 2 or 3 foot second of line that may seperate, or fray. alot of times when these crevices snag on the line, it will seperate a few feet of it before working itself out of it! goodluck..rollo

3. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    i forgot to add, something else I do when I'm not using certain reels for an extended period of time, is back the drags clear off of them. I think this helps maintain a good drag system without the added unnessesary presure applied from the system to the spool..rollo

4. luckey wade

luckey wade New Member

State:
    ohio
    Another thing Ive not checked.
    Theres aguy that weve talkedb about.
    That can fix it.If you cant Garry.
    Farquhar An Steinbaugh
    He does good work.
    Pm me Ive got the #.If you need it.
    Thanks

5. RetiredToFish

RetiredToFish New Member

State:
    Newark, Ohio
    Thanks Randy .... I have two reels over there being worked on right now .... figured would take this rod in when he calls me about the reels ...... Good work ... Very reasonable ... Garry-

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the post! Great info there! I'll be sure to double check mine out.

7. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Yes indeed, I left the drag cranked down on an abu once all winter, the drag slips reall bad now...I always back mine off after each trip.

8. poptart38247

poptart38247 New Member

State:
    Ohio
    That Used to happen to me all the time, I hate it! So I just got rods with metal eyes, Shakespeare Micro graphite. It was $14 at Walmart and its a great rod for the price. So now both my bullhead and small channel rod have metal eyes. :)
    -Evan

9. prostreetS10

prostreetS10 New Member

State:
    ohio
    I had this happen to me one time and i knew my rod had a insert with a cut from the line pulling on it over time. :confused2:Don't know why i din't do something about it but i was fishing with the rod one night got a nice flat on . After fighting it for a few i got it to the bank when i went to grab it it wipped and snapped the line at the rod tip. My new rods have one piece stainless eyes with no inserts i don't think they will wear out.

10. s_man

s_man New Member

State:
    south east ohio
    The quickest way to check all your eyelets is to take a Q-tip and run it around the inside of each eye. If there are any cracks or nicks it will instantly grab threads from the Q-tip. Even ones you can't see just by looking.

11. Gordhawk

Gordhawk New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Those Postal Employees are so smart!:big_smile: