Preparing for winter..catching carp

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by loki1982, Oct 31, 2006.

1. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    I have tried just about every carp recipe during just about every seaon of the year and they simply dont work for me. I hear alot of experience fishermen tell me wheaties and strawberry soda. Ive tried it, and it simply doesnt work for me.

So last year I went back to the basics and caught several blues and channels and a some nice carp on just plain flour tortillas. A few weeks back I tried again, and caught a 7# carp which was later used for cut bait. I again went with tortillas last friday, and hooked into another carp around 5-7#'s but broke my line. Im planning on getting a few carp to use as cutbait during the winter as these seem to be the best bait for me during the winter.

Anyways just thought id let everyone know that sometimes the simpler stuff works better. I watch people catch carp on all these recipes and they just wont work for me.

The way I use the tortilla is use a standard J hook. Tear off a section of the tortilla and roll it like you would roll carpet. Then hook the hook 1 time through the tortilla which should go through severla layers. Cast it out and leave it sitting about 10 minutes. Usually after 10 minutes its going to have fallen off or been picked off and you didnt notice.

2. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the tip on the flour tortillas. Have you ever try corn tortillas?

3. loki1982

loki1982 New Member

State:
    Texas
    No I have not. My family perfers the flour ones and I just grab a few from the house.

4. Guns & Cockpits

Guns & Cockpits New Member

State:
    California
    The corn tortillas that I've tried for carp never seem to hold together for any sustained period of time. This could be because corn tortillas don't work, it could be because I fish in currented waters, or it could be that they're just not as doughy and flexible as flour tortillas are without breaking.

We catch 4-5lb. carp on a regular basis using just about anything you can think of to throw on a hook.