Preparing deer hearts.

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by Believer, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    How do you guys do them?
    I've never eaten them, but a guy at work says they're really good boiled.
    I'm thinking of slicing and frying. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Eric

2. tkyhnt

tkyhnt New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have never had them boiled, however they are very good sliced then fried with some onions and garlic. Biggest points is to fry them to a medium rare, if they are over cooked they get awful tough, also be sure to get all of the membrane out that will make it tough as well. Once you try one you will be sure to keep them from every deer you can.

3. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Don't know about the eating part but I hear they make good fish bait. Thats the only thing I'd use them for.

4. squirtspop

squirtspop New Member

State:
    Glencoe, Arkansas
    Usually not to much of it left after the .06 hits it.

5. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Slice them up, trim off fat and gristle, then panfry and simmer for 30 minutes in milk gravy. Serve over toast or biscuits. :tounge_out:

6. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I will have to try that one sometime for sure! :big_smile:

7. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I was slicing it up last night and thought grilling it might be pretty good. I have some Italian dressing I may soak it in that and then throw it on the grill. :big_smile:

8. blackwaterkatz

blackwaterkatz Active Member

State:
    Andrews, SC
    Just don't overcook it. The meat is very lean and will get pretty tough if overcooked. Enjoy...

9. Big Eli

Big Eli New Member

State:
    Ohio, Clifton
    Do the boil thing with fresh herbs to tenderize it. Then slice it and bread then pan fry serve with gravy. Yum yum.

10. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I just can't bring myself to eat organs. You guys enjoy, could you pass me the tenderloin please and while you're at it, those lovely marinated ribs.:big_smile:

11. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    I'm with you Ken, ate too many nasty things on a stick to be polite, then ate too many nasty things being poor when I got home and unemployment was 16% nationwide. Heart, tongue, liver. Never got tired of trout or rabbit, but baby leave them chitlins alone. My dad just flat refused to hunt, as in his case, if you didn't "bag", you went hungry. He was proud he didn't have to hunt anymore. He taught me how. Said it was a life skill needed. But he wouldn't go. The big flood of 36 here in KY was the first time he ever ate an orange. Red Cross lady gave it to him. He was seven. He was fourteen before he got another one. Yeah kids I'm talking about America. I'm posting this in the receipe thread. Count yer blessings and bounty folks. And the fact you don't really have to cry if you miss.
    :wink:

12. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I just got done eating it. I marinaded it and grilled it. MAN IT WAS GOOD!!!!!
    I'll definitely be keeping all deer hearts from now on! :big_smile_2:

13. Paraguayguy

Paraguayguy Active Member

State:
    Virginia
    I don't know about deer tongue. They're kind of small. Beef tongue however is about as good as it gets. I haven't the slightest idea how its prepared but I eat it in South America whenever I see it. My work keeps me in rural areas of Argentina, Uruguay, and Paraguay. Whenever a beef is killed on a ranch, the owner always gets the loins, ribs, and tongue which are considered the best cuts on a steer. Tongue is as tender as tenderlion and tasty as can be. its served cold without the rough outer skin, sliced thin and covered with minced sweet red pepper, oinion, cilantro, and lime juice. I'm feeling the need to head way south.

14. SeedTick

SeedTick New Member

State:
    Conway Arkansas
    Hey Eric, Have you tried the liver? When I was growing up it and we killed a deer we would pull out the heart and liver and while we were cleaning the deer Mom was cooking. I ain't that wild about the heart but the liver sure is good. Mom would slice it up real thin and pan fry it and make gravy and sour dough biscuits. Woo man, I get hungry just a thinkin' about it.:cool2:

st

15. Believer

Believer New Member

State:
    Greenwood, AR.
    I love liver and onions, but was told not to eat deer liver because of contaminants.

Eric