Preparing cut bait bream for flathead catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Fishermancat1, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    Does anybody have any photos or illustrations on how to present cutbait bream for flathead catfish. I will be fishing for them at lake allatoona this weekend. any photos would help. thanks

2. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    Seems like an odd question. If you are fishing for flatheads, then you are better off using the bream live.

If you really want or need to use the bream as cut bait, then there's no magic to it. You could cut it about any way you want. I would probably cut one right in half and hook it through the corner. If it's a fairly small bream, then maybe just cut off the tail and hook it through the nose...

3. HRCats

HRCats New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If you start cutting them more than likely you're going to draw in channels. Not that its a bad thing but the flatties seem to prefer them live. Some of the brothers like cut shad for them flatties, i haven't had much luck with them but that doesn't mean it won't work. The key word is EXPERIMENTATION! If they're large and you feel the need to cut 'em try cutting them in half and use the head.

4. flatheadsteven

flatheadsteven New Member

State:
    ohio
    if i were u i would use them live but if for some reason u have to use them cut just cut them into big chunks or just cut them in half

5. hnterrcc1951

hnterrcc1951 New Member

State:
    indiana
    use them live ,unless your fishing for blues or channels.

6. Flatheadhunter33

Flatheadhunter33 New Member

State:
    Yuma, Arizona
    I've caught flatties on live and cut...like it's already been said you should use cut bait as a secondary resort. When I do cut them up though, I have had the most luck when hooking just the head for some reason...

7. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    I have been having some success this year using cut Bluegill for Flatheads. I cut off the head right behind the gill flaps and put that out on a circle hook and then cut rest up into about 1 inch strips. True you will also catch Channel Cats but I've been getting a fair number of Flatheads this year with this tactic. We have been having a lot of off colored water in my area due to a lot of rain and perhaps the fish can smell and find the cut bait a bit easier?

8. Fishermancat1

Fishermancat1 Member

State:
    Cobb Co. Georgia
    I will be fishing at a lake. Do you think cut gill will work in a lake also? I will be fishing a flat area at night. :canny:

9. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA

Can't say for sure but When I'm fishing with live bluegill I use one whole with some slits in it and one alive.

You gotta experiment and see what will work!

Josh

10. santeecat12

santeecat12 New Member

State:
    gastonia,nc
    i use whole bream with the hook in front of the tail

11. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Most lakes have bluegill. All catfish love to eat bluegill, cut or live. The 'gills will work. Stay alive on the hook a long time tool.

12. weathermantrey

weathermantrey New Member

State:
    central,sc
    We've never had much success for flatties on cut gill. We've caught some nice blue cats though. The big blues seem to prefer a bream head over cut herring. I'd put out some live and cut gill, and some cut herring or shad as well.

13. jason berry

jason berry New Member

State:
    Evansville
    I always use live bait but, my friend went out the other night and caught a 35# flat with a dead bluegill and they were cutting the bellies open. my personal opinon is you can catch them with cut bait but your going to wait longer then using live bait and not catch as more. i never use cut bait but some people on this website have caught bigger fish then me and thats what they say they use most of the time but, I support live over dead for flats 100%.

14. fireball

fireball New Member

State:
    georgia
    I have caught a couple on cut eel for bait. My favorite is a big live warmouth. They are very lively for a long time.

15. huntinflatheads

huntinflatheads New Member

State:
    Minnesota
    I perfer live bait. I usually leave some cut bait out, but most of my flatheads are caught on the live ones. Almost all of my channel cats are caught on cut bait.

16. Chop1

Chop1 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Mississippi
    Name:
    Chad
    Last time I went to the Ms. river, I fished two rods with cut gills and two with live. Caught four flats, two with each and the biggest one was on a gill I had cut in half with a circle hook thru the mouth and out between the eyes. Guess nothing is written in stone.

17. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    If you use cut bluegill, cut them in half diagonally from the top of the head to the anus. 2-pieces.

Rig the head section on a circle hook by pushing the hook through the bottom of the lower jaw an out of the nose leaving maximum hook gap exposure.

The tail section, cut off the dorsal fin and push the hook through the top end of the section. Or you can cut off the tail and push the hook through the tail end.

18. Beastly Backlash

Beastly Backlash Well-Known Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Name:
    Nick
    Cut bait can work quite well for flatheads when used and fished correctly. I feel it allows for greater casting distance when you are shore bound and it also allows for more precise bait presentations.

Just make sure the cut bait is extra fresh.

19. Moedaddy

Moedaddy New Member

State:
    Alabama
  20. Odz

Odz New Member

State:
    Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I cut them in half. I mainly fish for blues, but the handful of flatheads I've caught have all been on cut bait.