Prepairin for the beast.

Discussion in 'LOCAL KANSAS TALK' started by Backlashed, Mar 12, 2008.

1. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    OK, I'm gettn all geared up and ready to go, and I got my mind set on catchn a biggn. I've got pretty good equipment (Ambassador bait caster reels, and heavy trolling rods), and a pretty good idea about what I need for terminal tackle.
    What about line size? 20# mono big enough?
    Now, once I get that rascal on, how do I get him in the boat? I got a fair size net, but its proly good for a 15 maybe 20 pounder. (I'm thinkn REAL big)
    So what is best,. net?,. gaff?,. harpoon? BTW, I gotta get it up on a pontoon boat, so I'm thinkn long handle whatever it is.
    I proly could have found this stuff with search, but what the heck, I gotta get 10 posts anyway so I can see the pitchures!:big_smile:

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    welcome aboard to the boc
    as far as big ones depends on how big you want
    i like to be prepared for the big one by using 7-9ft eglass rods with spinning reels and 50-80lb for flaties and 20lb for channels but thats just me
    i use a big net with a 5 ft retactable pole on it and for night fishing i use a net light that atatches to the pole of the net wich you can get at mega cat crew.com and as far as big ones good luck in 2008 hope this helps

3. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    Id use no less than 30 pound mono line and 8-10 ott kahle hookes.The biggest net you can find is about the best choice for landing big fish.The rod needs to be at least 8 ft and at least a medium heavy action.If in a river Id go with heavy action.Lively bait, as there is a difference between alive and lively.All in all with the above gear and God on your side you should have no problems.

4. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Ray, 20# mono isnt big enough! I use 100# power pro Its the same size as 20 # mono also use 80# cajun red leader As for as a dip net mine is 4 ft. around with a long handle Theres nothing worse than haveing a 60 or70# fish on and break the line or get it to the boat and the net not be big enough ! GO BIG ,BE PERPAIRED Good Luck go catch a BIGGUN !!! :wink:

5. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I have never used any line over 20# and have caught a lot of flats over 40 some over 50. Never had one brake the line either, that is what the drag is for. In a boat I use shorter rods 6 or 7 ft off the bank I like 10ft or longer

6. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I might regret it, but I think I'll stay at the 20-30# line size. I agree with Dale about utilizing the drag, but then again if I can't turn it away from the timber, I my get screwed.
    I think I'm in purdy good shape for rod & reels, if not I'll just have to convince the boss I need new ones.
    A buddy said he would give me a big net frame, but it needs new netting. Anybody know where to get big replacements?

Anybody else fishn from a pontoon? Sure is a lot more comfortable than my old bass boat. I can actually spend 10-12 hours on and still be able to move the next day.

7. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    If you are on a snaggy section of a small river, you might need the high test
    line because you have to out pull him to get him away from the wood he wants to wrap you up in. If you hook the bigun while he's out on a flat or
    a migration route in a big lake it's not so critical because you don't have
    to turn him. Also, if you are in a boat you can follow him if he takes off then
    holds bottom for a while. Keep pressure on him just beneath the level you've
    set the drag and eventually he will tire out. Move him with the rod and reel
    down to the water to gain line 3 or 4 ft at a time. If you hooked him with a
    circle hook chances are you've got a good chunk of the corner of his mouth
    right near the barbel and this is a rugged area that stretches quite a bit.
    I guess I'm not telling you anything you haven't heard before, but if you
    have to stop him in a short distance you will need heavy equipment. On the
    other hand, there's Dale's experience to consider. Letting them run against
    a good drag is a powerful tool and it may be all you need.

8. bownero

bownero New Member

State:
    Hastings, Ne.
    HI Ray! It's always better to go overgunned than undergunned, but heavy pound test line isn't everything. A great smooth drag reel is the most essential piece of equipment you should have. Also a good sturdy rod with good backbone helps to. Having your drag set correctly, will help bring in more big fish than worrying about the line. I have brought in WIPERS up to 13lbs. on 6lb. test line with no problem. As for using 20lb. test line I think that's fine. If you are fishing around snags go heavier.:0a26:

MARK..

9. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    The area I have in mind does have some flooded timber around it, and it has produced some 40+ fish. This is gonna be a learning curve.

10. yeppa

yeppa New Member

State:
    Topeka, Kansas
    Ray--You probably won't be taking that pontoon up the crick,and into the tall timber, so 20# ought to be enough. On the slight chance that I'm wrong (I've never caught one over 10#), blame Dale!! I know he's caught bigguns.

PS You can get your tenth post by telling folks what a nice fella' I am.

11. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i agree mono is not good enough for me i use spider wire for the kind of fishing i do especialy around snags

12. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I fish the log jams and snags just like every one does.I have for the last 55 years . you don't need 100# line for cats any where . I dont have to set limb lines to catch big flats either.

13. Katatonik

Katatonik New Member

State:
    Ogden, Kansas,
    So, what do you do when the cats head into the logjam? Do you just wait on
    them to swim back out? I've been broke off a time or two and I must be
    doing something wrong, Dale.

14. dafin

dafin New Member

State:
    Manhattan,Kan
    I can turn a 50#flat with 20#line . I bet you can't pull over 15# with your rod at a 45deg angle.I only run 5# of drag. Do as you like, but it has worked for me a long time. I keep hearing you can't catch bigger flats out of timber and logs with 20# line, when I have been doing it for years.

15. SkipEye

SkipEye Well-Known Member

State:
    Winfield, MO
    Name:
    Darryl
    That light mono might do the job MOST of the time, not saying you can't catch a big fish by utilizing the drag properly. But what about the really big one that you have to get turned around NOW! Sometimes you'll do it,then there is that time you won't. PowerPro and other braids give you a lot of strength for a small diameter. Why risk the fish of a lifetime? I use 65lb PowerPro with a 50 lb mono leader.

To each his own though, not saying anyone else is incorrect. Just a matter of preference.

16. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    The closest I've come to catching a big Flathead, is Spoonbills. I've caught two over 40 on 100# line and broomstick rods, and to be honest, it wasn't all that much fun, kinda like pulling in a sac of potatoes.
    I like the idea of using just enough to get the job done. I've caught some pretty big striper on 6-8# line, and thats one of the few times in life that shitn your shorts, is pure pleasure.

17. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    i have fished all my life with my dad and by myself and used to use 20# line with him but after loosing a couple of nice ones in timber i have decided to switch to 55#-and 80# line
    and as far as limb lining goes i catch half and half on pole and limb lines i just like doing it because i can cover more ground

18. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I haven't limb lined in a long time. As a kid I grew up within a block of the little Arkansas, in North Wichita, and we set lines off and on all summer, had a blast.
    I was kinda hoping they would legalize jugline'n. I don't want to set em then forget em, but I would like to set a few while I'm rod fishn, just for a little extra excitement. I'd think they would be purdy easy to keep an eye on with a spot light.

19. Backlashed

Backlashed New Member

State:
    Derby, Kansas
    I remembered today how a long time ago, an old man showed me how to bait up using a bullhead. I was wondering if any of you did it this way.
    He would hook a 4-5 inch bullhead DOWN through the lips, then pinch a split shot on the top side of the hook above his upper lip. He said the weight of the split shot would try to turn them upside down, and they would struggle to keep themselves right side up. He said they wouldn't just lay on the bottom hooked like that.
    Makes since, but I've never seen or heard of anyone else doing that.

20. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Hey Ray i think you got some real good suggestion on equipment and line size to get you started in the right direction in your quest to land that big cat of a life time.Once you get out there fishing and get your confinced in your equipment you will learn what works best for you.Everything you read in this post will work and get you on the water ready for that Big cat...Good luck and post us some pic when you catch him.