Prehistoric Lake fishing advice needed

Discussion in 'INDIANA LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by stovepipe, Sep 2, 2006.

1. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    I mostly fish a lake in southern In. called prehistoic lake. Its a good sized lake with a deep end (the dam area) and a real shallow end, over i'd say 'bout 6 acres. Ive been cat fishing for years and have never caught any big'ns (anywhere for that matter). So i'd say i must be doing something wrong. I use mostly use liver on the bottom and float a bait fish on top.
    So you please give me some insight on the proper way to find em. Go deep or fish the shallows? Use different baits,,what? Bottom or top? Times of the day or night? What kind of rig?
    Please dont think me dumb, i just would like to hear what works well for the experienced.
    thanks in advance
    steve

2. tomcat85

tomcat85 New Member

State:
    uh
    hey man ive only recently started fishing again but i hopefully i can give you some tips. i fish in the day and night and do pretty well during both times. the rig i use is very simple. its a slip weight with a swivel and a steel leeder or hook. i always fish the bottom. talk to some of the locals and ask them for some advice thats what i did. look for deep holes or some kind of cover for the catfish. hope this helps! good luck!

ps. i use the slip sinker so the catfish doesnt feel any resistance and try leaving your bail open.

3. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I use to fish the intake grates in front of the dams. would get some big ones there because the cats would lay on the grates and the food would come to them. I used livers. They have blocked off the water in front of the dams now because of the threat of a nut blowing them up. I can still do pretty well along the lime stone rip wrap. Fish deep and in the evening/night. Good luck.
    Bill

4. thomcat

thomcat New Member

State:
    pennsylvania 17745
    switch it up man, if you use multiple rods put different baits on to see what works and what doesnt.. i use liver and worms, and ill bring a light tackle rod just for jigs and such... but thats just what i do.

5. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    went to prehistoric lake last night and didnt even get a nibble. It was slightly chilly out and the wind had slight gusts to it. I wonder if the chill had something to do with it. Are the cats on nest?
    I even went to a different lake and didnt get a nibble there either.
    Man ,,i really bummed out. Ive been cat'n for years and have never landed anything to big. Im itchn for a big dog. I got the rigs,gear,baits and poles but just no big fish to challenge it. Im 'bout ready to find a new hobby.
    Maybe i need to get a boat and hit the rivers, lay down some drop lines or jugs. Maybe i need a guide or a jedi master.
    broken spirited
    steve

6. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    I would say try different baits. If the lake has flatheads in it, go with small live bluegills and other sunfish. For bigger channels, try some cut shad or creek chub, or live shad that are about 3-4". Most channels I catch on lives are from about 1-5lbs, but occasionally I'll get some that go 8 or 9lbs.

7. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    Always try to use fresh cut bait from the water your fishing in. Catch a blue gill, remove its gut sack, cut off the best filets you can from the blue gill, then sandwich the gut sack between the two filets and wrap (this is all placed on the hook) the yummy treat with some fine thread so that it stays on the hook. It always works for me. Best of luck!

8. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    were exactly is prehistoric lake. i believe ive heard of it before

9. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    prehistoric lake is located in scott county. East country side of Austin.
    Not far from Scottsburg. Its a pay lake. One big main lake and four ponds.$10.00's a pop for 12 hrs. No one hardly goes there, i have been fishing it for 7-8 years and have only a few good things to say about the place. 1. Its true a beautifull place
    2. Very peacefull and quiet
    3. very clean
    4. Awesome camping
    BUT,,,,,i have never caught anything worth bragging about. Nor have i seen anyone else produce big, but one time,,A friend O' a friend nail a 47 pound flat head on blue gill about 4:00 in the morning on a float just off the bottom. Wow ,,what a fish. He showed it off at the local 4-h fair. Then returned it to his own lake.
    Me and the wife really enjoy the camping but the fishing is slow going. Its an old lake and not alot O' people go there. So i know theres another big one or two to be had out there somewhere in the lake. I Want Them.
    Tell me how to get please.
    thanks for the attention.
    steve

10. typer181

typer181 Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Indy
    Name:
    Eric
    You should try Clearview Lake just south of Scottsburg. We have been pulling 30-40lb flatheads and 40+lb blues out of there all year. Watch using the word 'pay lake' on here, I have been reprimended by the moderators for doing that in the past. The code word 'bath tub' is good to use instead. Happy fishing!

11. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    first off ,i thank typer181 for the heads up on the proper conduct. I did not know of the sensetivities of certain subjects. It shant happen agian.
    Secondly,,where might this clearview lake be located? I know Scottsburg well and have never known this lake. Could it be called something else by locals or is it a big secert? I would like directions too if you would be so kind. I plan on taking what might be my last trip of the season this monday.

12. whiteriverbigcats

whiteriverbigcats New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome to the BOC Steve. I would try useing your baitfish (Bluegill ) on the bottom and if that dont seem appealing to the cats then try using some large creek chubs.... And when all else fails try useing a good ol nightcrawler..... but fish about an hour before dark till about 11:30pm to midnight... and see what you come up with.... keep us posted...

13. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    thanks for the advice.
    i went fishing last night at prehistoric lake. Found me a nice lil cove area to fish and covered the whole area with different baits. I used 12 different poles and 6 different baits. liver,worms,bait fish,stink bait,shrimp and my own brew. I caught one ch.cat in the first 10 mins. and thought it might be a good night, but no...it was the first and the last cat of the night.
    What a bummer. Im gonna have to change my fishing lake out for another.
    Im thinking about marrysville lake in southern indiana near scottsburg. Any one have a word on that lake? Or any other lakes in the area?
    My fishing luck has been pretty bad the last couple of seasons. its really discouraging.

14. creek_fisher88

creek_fisher88 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I think your best bet would be going to Clearview Lake. I live like 6 or7 miles from marysville lake and they havent been producein at all. went to clear view last fri. and caught one. i got a lot of bites but people kept calling my cell so i missed most of them

15. stovepipe

stovepipe New Member

State:
    indiana
    i would like to check out clearview lake.
    please give me a heads up on its exact location.
    Thanks for the tip. Im gonna try to get out a couple more times this season so i need to make it count.

16. RisenDevil

RisenDevil New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I may be wrong about this but you can always call and find out ... Clearview I believe is the new name of Coomer's 6 Lakes . All I have to say on that subject is ...

Do your homework in here and look up anything written on Coomer's and you'll find if ya go there if it's bad it's probably true .

I recommend ya take a trip to New-Albany Indiana and check out Bill's 5 Lakes . It's worth a look . If ya wanna know more about his place gimme a holler . Or the old standby of the Scottsburg resevoir .