Preferred Waterfowling Weapon

Discussion in 'Waterfowl Hunting' started by TeamCatHazzard, Feb 17, 2006.

1. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Just curious to see what everyone shoots and prefers for waterfowling. I prefer Benelli I have a SBE1 and SBE2 and love em. Oh and I did leave the topic to preferred waterfowling "weapon" incase the is some other "weapon" you prefer :p

2. Boogan1

Boogan1 New Member

State:
    Carrollton, MO
    I have always been a fan of pump shotguns, and like you, I chose Benelli. I have a Benelli Nova and it is absolutely the best waterfowl shotgun I have ever owned. It is tough, accurate, and just keeps on shooting. On a snow goose hunt last year it kind of warmed up through the day and it got pretty muddy. By the end of the day my Nova was just caked with mud. I took it home, leaned it against the house and hosed it off with the garden hose. Took it inside and let it dry out for a couple of hours, swabbed the barrel, shot a little G-96 in it and hunted again the next day. Just an awesome shotgun. Boog

3. Darrell

Darrell New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I bought a Remington 11-87 Special Purpose 3-1/2 inch synthenic and love the heck out of it. It will take a quail load all the way up to a giant goose load. I can get it muddy as hell, spray it down with water and then a good coat of oil and be good to go for the next day. I bought a cantalever slug barrel with a red dot scope and use it for deer hunting also. I put a Monte Carlo stock on it to fit me but it was well worth the money.

I would love to get a Benneli but they are a little pricey for me.

Darrell

4. Mountain Cur

Mountain Cur New Member

State:
    Missouri, Warsaw
    It depends where I'm hunting what my favorite is. All around general purpose is an 870 three inch because of it's reliablity. I've carried one all over the world in some circumstances less than friendly and it always works. For ducks I shoot a Franchi 3 1/2 w/Hastings LM choke, but always use 3" shells, "best pattern." For field hunting geese 11-87 Super Mag. I like the Bennellis but I can't justify the cost and I can kill more ducks and geese with what I've have than I want to clean. If anyone hunted Truman Lake last year "05/06" season let me know how you did.

5. Mr. Catfish

Mr. Catfish Member

State:
    Indianapolis, I
    I usually use my browning 2000 duck hunting, occasionally the Ruger Red Label over and under...

6. N2Ducks

N2Ducks New Member

State:
    Texas
    Browning Gold Hunter is my tool of choice. Lord knows she takes a beating and keeps on going. It shoots great. Doesn't have a lot of recoil and the auto-loading feature is really nice to get in that fourth shot. (Secretly I think it prefers to go swimming but don't tell anybody.)

7. fishoutloud

fishoutloud New Member

State:
    Kansas
    For years I've used my 870 wingmaster and love it. great dependable gun. I used to do more hunting over water than I do now. Most my waterfowl hunting has changed to geese in fields. It's nice to stay dry and I primaraly hunt a field about 200yds from my house so I put my decoys out in late to mid nov. and don't have to pull them untill after the season ends. I use an avery power hunter lay out blind and the 870 just didn't blend in well. I just got a mossberg 835 camo turkey gun and switch the choke tube to a mod. and I love it!! The camo pattern is great and sinthetic is the only way to go- fear no mud!! It took some getting used to shooting with a 24 inch barrel compared to a 28 but I've pretty well got my swing down now. Not to mention 31/2 inch mags will flat kill them geese when you're shootin' em under 40 yds. No more floppin' and no more chasing!!:)

8. triggerhappy

triggerhappy New Member

State:
    IL
    Good ole pumps!!! Remington, Winchester, Ithica, Browning. Any of those will take whatever you give 'em. (Nothing wrong with them but I just don't like the moss 500)

Now what I really wish was that O/U weren't so expensive to make. Then someone would need to make a matte finish, synthetic, no-frill yet high quality O/U. One less shot, but I'd love it.

9. ASASIN

ASASIN New Member

State:
    Lawson Missouri
    I've got a couple of TriStars that I absolutely love the way they shoot, but they jam up too much!!!!!!!!!! AUGH!!!!!!!!!!!! I've got a Super Black Eagle, but it has the pistol grip on it and I'm too much of a tight wad to buy another stock for it. LOL!!!!!!!!! I need to, though. But as little as I'll be shooting it now, I can't justify it, yet. God bless.

10. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Just give me a good ole' Rem. 11-87 Super Mag and I'll be happy!

11. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    I would use a Remington 870 Express. I have been very impressed with the 870's and feel comfortable using them. I use them for turkey and bird hunting.

chris

12. el_pescador

el_pescador New Member

State:
    Missouri
    When i go waterfowl hunting , my Winchester Ranger works best for me. 30" barrel with full choke. I love the fit and smoothness of the gun.
    I'm gonna have to agree with him on this. I dont own the 500, but it has just always seemed to me that the mossbergs didnt have that american quality. However, my buddy shoots a mossberg 3000, and its alright for him, so i guess this is just a personal opinion thing.

13. Rockin' Blues

Rockin' Blues New Member

State:
    st.louis mo.
    ive got a browning bps,its alright but kind of touchy with some shells,'ejecting'

14. Bubbahunter

Bubbahunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    On ducks and early season geese i like to use my Nova but on geese in the late season i love to use my Browning BPS 10ga.

15. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    I own a moss 500A but i hated it the safety would turn on after every shot. I now shot the Rem 11 87 super mag camo for everything and i love it.

16. TeamCatHazzard

TeamCatHazzard New Member

State:
    Illinois
    sounds like everyone has some nice guns, Its all about what you like and what you use it for. Thanks for the posts I was curious to see what everyone preferred.

17. GrainDrain

GrainDrain New Member

State:
    Texas
    Ya that is why i got the gun that i have, i can shot dove shot all the way to 3.5 mags against the big boy canadian and not have to worry about getting the other guns out and dirty. Mine cleans real easy also.

18. Bubbahunter

Bubbahunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    If i could afford to I`d shoot doves with my Browning 10ga i just like shooting that thing.lol

BAM instant pillow maker.

Rob

19. BullDaddy

BullDaddy New Member

State:
    Bossier City, La.
    I shoot the Rem 3.5" Super Mag. in a 28" barrel. I really like the way it shoots and is quick and easy to breakdown and clean. I have 2 buddies I hunt with, 1 shoots a Benneli 26" and the other a Browning Gold 28". I have shot them both (the gun, not my buddies:confused: ) and while they are great shooting guns I still prefer my Rem.

20. tnson

tnson New Member

State:
    tenn
    I've used a Winchester Mod. 12 3" mag since 1973, don"t know of any reason to change now