Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have exclusively used the offshore brand of planer boards for my trolling needs. They work fine for trolling heavier lures and higher speeds in my opinion. However, they do not always perform on light baits and very slow drifting speeds. They tend to fall over on themselves without constant pressure. Drifting or power drifting, IMHO, is not what these boards were designed for.

I have seen other styles of boards around from different makers and I just wondered what you guys use/have success with.

·
Registered
703 Posts
I make my own...pine board 8 inches long and 4 inches wide. Use a router to cut a groove in the bottom 1/4 inch wide and 1/2 inch deep, melt lead and fill the groove. This makes the board stand up. Cut a bevel in the front and attach a release in the middle, a clip swivel to the rear. Run the line through the swivel to the release clip and you're all set.

Good luck.

·
Registered
906 Posts
brett, i have used every brand on the market, frequently, the most bouyant board on the market is the yellow bird, it is made of a hardened foam, but it is not as versital as church and offshore, no tattle flags can be used on the yellow birds. if it is small baits you want to run, church tackle makes a tx-6 mini magnum, but they might not be what you want, they will tip at slow speeds.
personaly i think the yellow birds are what your looking for.

here is some mini's i made useing the tx-6 as the pattern.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you so much for the responses!

@afishpatrol- Thanks for the great info on those boards I have looked at yellow birds in the past, and I think, based off of your post, that I will be trying some for my next set of higher speed striper boards. I have tattle flag offshore boards, but once you put a spread of boards out the sag in the pattern is all the tattle you need. Those little boards you made are pretty amazing. You are a craftsman. Thanks.

@bomberman- Do you nail across the void you make with your router prior to filling up the groove? I saw a post or an article describing a similar set up for DIY boards and he nailed across the groove (pre pour)with some small nails to keep the lead in there (post pour). I havent gotten around to making my own yet but I would like to one day.

@Mac- I recognize those boards from the time when Asartin took me out to drift one afternoon. I couldnt remember the name of the company. They did work really well at less than 1/2 mph. I had a live 6'' shad on mine and it was tracking at close to 80 degrees to the boat out an easy 55 yards or so. At 28.99 for a SET they are about 1/2 the price of the offshore boards. Have you had success with those boards at higher mph and baits that pull a bit harder like deep diving cranks? Thanks Mac.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.