Preferred outfits for local river fishing?

Discussion in 'VIRGINIA RIVERS TALK' started by SlightlySeine, Jun 23, 2009.

1. SlightlySeine

SlightlySeine New Member

State:
    Big "R" Town, Va
    Being in transition from boat and surf fishing (mostly Surf), I'd like to know what some of the favorite setups are for Blues and Flatheads on the river. I have an idea what I think will work for me, but also listening to you guys would help, and possibly change my ideas on what rigs I should maintain as my "go to" outfits. Needless to say, I'm not going to need the number of setups I would for my previous pursuits, and had too many before this change.

I was also wondering if there are any swap meets as such, or any kind of get together for reasons of disposing of/trading/or purchasing used equipment? These have always been quit helpful in other areas I have lived, most places had a few events a year, although most of them were a little more Coastal in nature. I really don't believe wooden plugs will ever come in handy for these Cat's, although a plug bag full of the smaller stuff would be fun, and come in handy in the Spring. I'm guessing most of you have the same problem I do, "can't ever have too much fishing stuff" :wink:

As I understand, I've missed the good fishing for the first of the year, and have a few month's until it picks up again. While I'll surely be putting in time keeping the casting arm in check, and hoping for that "once in a Blue Moon catch", I'll be using this time to research places equipment/techniques that seem productive, studying charts, excess to the river, and hopefully meeting a few catfishing dudes (or dudettes :0a1:) to wet a line with.

Thanks all for the great welcome, the info I've already picked up here, and the answers to the specific questions that I know many of you have answered numerous times before!

Tight Lines to All.... And a "Safe" year!