Preferred hook and swivel model ?

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by Jb1z, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm looking for a good hook model and swivel model for flatheads.

Any suggestions ?

2. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    swivel I cant tell you, I just use a big barrel, no name I just grab the most solid one I see, as far as hooks I use 8/0 Gamma Octo cirlce 4 x strong. or 9/0 Matzuo, I have some 10/0 king kahles but havent gotten a hit on one yet

3. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    Well right now I have some brass walmart ones , and I know they won't work.

But thanks for the tip on the hooks.

4. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
  5. Jb1z

Jb1z New Member

State:
    Texas
    I'm not looking for swivels to attach hooks , I'm looking for ones to use with carolina rigs.

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A #4 Spro Swivel with a 8/0-10/0 King Kahle hook will get the job done your asking about.

7. KAW RIVER KILLER

KAW RIVER KILLER New Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    I use two swivels on my carolina rig. A barrel swivel on my main line and a clip swivel to attach the leader. I keep a load of pre-tied leaders so if one breaks or I want to switch hooks I don't have to retie, just unclip the old one and clip on the new.

8. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Gamakatsu or Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp Hooks, and Size 1 barrel swivels.:wink:

9. festus

festus New Member

SPRO Power swivel, size 1/0, 1" length, 370 lb. test. Price: $3.69 for 10 at Cabela's. These have no snap, see photo in attachment below.

I use Eagle Claw Octopus Circle Wide Gap hooks, size 5/0, model L7228, 50 for $12.49 at Cabela's.

10. dieselcat

dieselcat New Member

State:
    Washington, Mis
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  11. kingkat82

kingkat82 New Member

State:
    Central KS
    Use at least a strong 1/0 black/silver barrel swivel to attach to the main line. And if you decide to use a clip swivel on your lead line for easy rerigging, do as KAW RIVER KILLER said and use one of those "clip" snap swivels with the bends. The other "straight" brass ones will bend easily and become unclipped and anger you :big_smile:. As for hooks I've switched to non-offset 6/0 circles (Circle Sea hooks is the proper name I think), with the occasional Khale as I've not mastered the circle seas yet. But circle hooks will give you more lip hooks than any other type which in turn will give more CatchPhotoRelease fish higher chances of living which is my personal reason for switching.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  12. saros2500

saros2500 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania
    swivels don't matter, just get a big beefy barrel, no need to pay extra for those "brand" name swivels haha. But hooks are very important. You get what you pay for. Stick with a good, sharp brand like gamma. I use 8/0 octo circles. Havent let me down yet.

13. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

SWIVELS-any good american made ones in size 1/0 or larger.1/0 swivels are usually 150 lb test.Any larger and something else is probaly gonna break first anyhow.HOOKS-Mustad 92671,s in 10/0 90% of the time.They,re a good strong hook.Reasonably priced,I get em by the hundred for $32.:wink:

14. JimmyJonny

JimmyJonny Well-Known Member

State:
    sc
    I use Bill Fisher Crane swivels and eagle claw circle hooks.

On the swivels 50# is plenty strong enough...Ive never bent or broke one...extrememly tough with super low profile.

Sorry...I don't have a left over package to get you a number.

15. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS

Attached Files: