Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Preferred cast net for spring/summer shad?

12K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  django 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a preferred size and weight ratio for cast nets to throw around in shallower water? Ideally could I get a specific link? Any time I look on amazon or something I’m flooded with results and idea,my I could find something tried and tested.

#2 ·
You should try catfishconnection.com lots to choose from. I started with a small 3 foot one from walmart, pretty good nets and good for beginning and in shallow water. Bigger and heavier nets in shallow water are easier to ruin if you are around trees areas with brushy bottoms. I have a small one covered in repaires i use in a small lake. It gets hung up alot and i throw it close to brush. I use my big ones in open water off my boat where im less likely to ruin it on submerged logs and stuff. good luck

#3 ·
I loved my 6 foot net but it was cheaply made and last month when I was fishing a Houston bayou I ripped it on these weird aquarium plecos that someone had released and went super out of control reproducing.
I’ll definitely try that site. Another thing I’d like to know is, is the monofilament preferred? That’s what I had but it was probably the equivalent of like 6 pound test line.

#4 ·
The mono will likely sink faster and in my opinion last longer. I have both but also if you need to fix one the mono will be easier i use 15 or 20lb big game on the net and cheap 80lb for the leads. My favorite is a 6 foot betts off of catfishconnection its a mono with bigger holes sinks fast and is heavy.

#5 · (Edited)
You should check out Barracuda Tackle cast nets.. they have a lifetime warranty against snags and tears where as long as you recover your ruined net and send it back to them, they will send you a new one for half price. I haven’t looked into the details too thoroughly but that’s a pretty sweet deal for a cast net. I guess if you are throwing something small like a 6’ net it wouldn’t matter as much but if you go to a larger size net then they start getting pricey. I bought a 10’ net with 3/8” mesh and 1.25lbs per foot and it’s by far the best net I’ve ever had. I didn’t even bother soaking it in hot water and hanging it out to stretch and dry. It comes ready to throw right out of the bucket. That 3/8” mesh at 1.25lbs is a great all around size as well. The mesh is small enough that you aren’t going to lose your smaller shad but it’s got enough weight that it gets down on the larger gizzard shad.

https://barracudatackle.com/collect...arracuda-inshore-cast-net?variant=42421604488

#9 ·
i used a 6' Walmart special for 2 years, effective and manageable, last summer i bought a 10' betts but that sucker weighs 22 lbs total, kind of a bear to through with rotator cuff issues... back to the 6' for me. definitely error on the light side if you have limited experience imo.

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
I bought this net and it was my first one.

Advertising Signage Label Billboard Banner

I have used it a lot without being able to destroy it but I am careful where I throw it. It has been a good net but I think if I were going to buy one now, I would get either a 5 or more likely a 6 foot net. Note nets are measured by radius so the true spread is twice that. Although I have had it a long time, I am still looking for the best way to throw it to get complete opening. But that is my shortcoming not the nets.

The container will hold the net if you want to take the time to wind it up tight. But the net will not dry in the sealed container so I use a 5 gallon bucket which holds it easily and lets it air out and dry. If you put a handful of small shad in your glove compartment and leave them there for a week, that is what most nets smell like after they have been used so the open bucket helps that air out also.

Good luck with your choice.
You might check Luke's Catfish and Carp videos for a good method to throw one.

#13 ·
The last I read, the answer was no cast netting in fresh water only in saltwater. There was an attempt to change that in 2016 but you would be better calling your local DNR and asking for the current information.

Good Luck.

#18 ·
I will have to practice this method when it gets warm enough. I have tried several but noy found the perfect method yet. I don't care for the wet shoulder a lot but at least I can leave the teeth in the jar on the bathroom counter. The wife might need them to go to town while I'm away. :sleeping1:

#19 ·
Shallow 1lb per foot of length (BTW that is 6lbs for a 6ft net)

Don’t - Do not buy the basspro nets... OMG junk, garbage - this is the first time I’m looking forward to loosing a net
The Old salt no-spook’s are pretty good and work well.

If you want a really, really good net - tim wade nets... really, really good.

#21 ·
I use a 7 ft net with a 3/8s mesh. I will get the shad that are about three inches long. I would rather have just the larger shad but the 3 inches are good bait for channel cats. Anyway, if you want to get just larger shad, get at least 1/2 inch mesh.

Different states have different requirements for cast nets so be sure to check out you state regulations. The larger mesh will also sink faster which is usually a good thing.

tight nets

#22 ·
Each state has net size regulations in terms of mesh size.

In KS the biggest we can use is 1/2” sized nets.

BTW I would not shy away of small shad, micro shad for what ever reason seem do do well for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.