Preference of blugill

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by allflats, Apr 30, 2008.

1. allflats

allflats Member

State:
    Kentucky
    When catching bluegill for flats i try and keep only green sunfish if i can.They seem to stay lively longer than other baits and flats love them. Do any others here have a prefernce for blue gill or use whatever they get? I have even heard some call them rock perch.

2. uttatoo

uttatoo New Member

State:
    greatbend kansas
    same here unless i really have to use the other ones but you are right they dont stay alive very long

3. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    it dont matter to me I know the only blue gills that I use for flatties are smaller gills about 4 or 5 inches long some of the bigger ones I save and eat, there good eating.

4. redneckradtech

redneckradtech New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wonder if the shell cracker works, havent used them yet, they get good sized

5. Timber Cat

Timber Cat New Member

State:
    Penderlea NC
    I use any of them myself.Including shellcrackers.usally hand size or a bit smaller.But I have put the big uns on a hook too :wink::smile2:

6. catfishbrett

catfishbrett New Member

State:
    Steubenville,Ohio
    i use whatever ones i catch that day lol..but i like the ones with the big yellow or orange belly

7. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    my favorite is what we call gogleye around here. a real thick perch and has a big mouth. lives like no other and has a lot of energy. they live around rocks mostly.

8. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    i like about a four finger gill or a 6" cat:big_smile:

9. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:smile2:

10. mariofish

mariofish New Member

State:
    wv
    welcome to boc:cool2:

11. JAinSC

JAinSC Active Member

State:
    South Carolina
    I have heard others say they really like green sunfish, but around here they are prety scarce. I use bluegills, redbreast, spotted sunfish (stumpknockers), and even a shellcracker or two now and then. They all work. I catch them right there in the river before I start fishing for the flatheads, and they are all good and strong.

12. CatFuStyle

CatFuStyle New Member

State:
    Xenia, Ohio
    i pretty much use the variety of gills, but my favs are warmouths, tough lil boogers and they stay alive and fight for a long time, up here i can get warmouths on average 4-5 inches.

13. orion_xxvx

orion_xxvx New Member

State:
    North Central Missouri
    Blue Gill, Red Ear Sunfish, Green Sunfish and Long Ear Sunfish are all different Species. I believe longear to be best , green sunfish second in line.

14. bream reaper

bream reaper Member

State:
    Indiana
    I love to use river-caught pumpkinseed. But bluegills are the standby.

15. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    i like the greens for flatties, but i have also used cherry perch with good success. i am going more toward carp and bullheads here lately though, as i finally found a spot where i can sack up a bunch of 5-7" carp in no time.

16. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    I have had very little luck with sunfish but when I use em I use greenies.

massa_jorge what kind of location did you find those carp? I cant seem to find anything under 5 lbs.

17. Pennsylvaniacatchaser

Pennsylvaniacatchaser Well-Known Member

State:
    Sarver, Pa
    Usually I don't have a lot of time to catch bait so I take what I can get which is usually small to medium Bluegill but if I could get Bullhead, small Carp, Suckers, etc. I would love to use them!

18. slabmaster

slabmaster New Member

State:
    missouri
    i'm a fan of green sunfish also. when in oklahoma i prefer 10 and a 1/4 inch crappie.

19. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    any gill that gets on my hook under 6in. but i do bait up with the brighter ones first.(cant say i see any difference though)

20. massa_jorge

massa_jorge New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    jerry, i sent you a pm...