Prefered structure for blue gill

Discussion in 'Bluegill Fishing' started by janzaldo, Mar 20, 2008.

1. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Hi Folkes, I plan on fishing this lake called Puddingstone in Pomona Ca, tomorrow, any advise on what structure to look for? Also do bluegills bite year around? Your help will greatly appreciated.

Jaime

2. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    I'd start by looking for structure, submerged and out of the water. Also, grassy areas where they can hide and sometimes close to the bank. They like to hide there to be safe from predators. I've had decent luck year around but better luck in the warmer months and fall.
    Hope this helps Bro!

3. big_fish

big_fish New Member

State:
    michigan
    Yes they bite all year love to fish them through the ice here in michigan. I like to find humps in the lake with quick drop off to deeper water especialy if there is weeds.

4. brinley45cal

brinley45cal Active Member

State:
    kentucky
    Heck i dont think there is a preferred structure for the little bait stealer's lol.I think you catch them about anywhere with a worm and small hook.

5. big_fish

big_fish New Member

State:
    michigan
    Yeah you can catch small ones anywhere but if you want to catch big ones you have to know where to look.

6. SSgt Fishslayer

SSgt Fishslayer New Member

State:
    south carolina
    the best places i have found for gills is somewhere where that can hide from predators. the edges of weed beds are always a good place to look. if the water is warming up, start targeting key ares such as brush piles, the edges of weed beds, laydowns, the edges of tullies are good too, lilly pads, and rock piles. you can catch gills yeart round, when the water gets cold in the winter they tend to go deep and get lockjaw. they dont realy bite a whole lot, but you can catch them. if you find smller ones, there will usually be larger ones around, and they will hold in slightly deeper water than the smaller ones. if you are catching small ones in 3 ft of water, rig up a spit shot and #6 gold hook with night crawler and cast into abotu 5 feet of water. this will usually produce larger gills. i fish alot of canals and my favorite place to find gills is in weeds and in pockets of slack water with some descent cover in it. hope this helps. once they start spawning, look for flats with sandy to pea gravel bottoms. you can usually spot the beds, they look like someone threw a tire in the water, or like a bowl has been placed in the water. if you can find a flat with about 3 to 5 ft of water over it, then you can catch quite a few gills by dragging a night crawler right over the beds, or light lining a cricket or gass hopper.

7. Ahquabi_Master

Ahquabi_Master New Member

State:
    WDM Iowa
    For me, preferred structure is often anywhere along shorelines. Docks or any kind of wooded structure where they can find shade will hold them as well as clusters of larger rocks - they seem to like to fit into crevices. Moss patches with breaks in them seem to be good places too. Basically any kind of plant-life that could have submerged branches for cover would be ideal in my opinion. Oh and uh...you're using them for bait right? J/k, best of luck.

8. janzaldo

janzaldo New Member

State:
    South Gate, Cal
    Thanks for your input folkes; very much appreciated.
    If all goes according to plan, hope to get out this Sunday. I just bout a camera, will take some pictures of Puddingstone.
    After hearing your replies, I have a prety good idea where to look!

Jaime

9. catfisherman_eky3

catfisherman_eky3 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I like fishing around Logs or rocks in the water with a wax worm for blue gills

10. puddle jumper

puddle jumper Well-Known Member

State:
    NW.Georgia
    I like the wax worms as well, anouther place to look is in the slack waters behing and dam...and wind walls
    Puddle...

11. PAWPAWME

PAWPAWME New Member

State:
    GEORGIA
    SANDY BOTTOMS IN 2-6 FEET OF WATER WITH SOME KIND OF COVER ALWAYS PRODUCES FOR ME.

12. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    Any weeds sub murged logs. Any thing that will give them alot of cover. I have caught alot around fallen trees and trees that have limbs hanging in the water. Hope this helps some.

13. stinkbaitman

stinkbaitman New Member

State:
    south dakota
    i like to fish by bridges and near shore with worms and sometimes if they are nibblin off your bait a lot i take a number 8 aberdeen snell and put a piece of canned corn on it and theyll hit it. but also look for anything structure. timber, bays, rocks. weeds, shallow areas.

14. south_va_fisherman

south_va_fisherman New Member

State:
    Muddy Cross, Virginia
    boat ramps and near scum or weeds

15. tufffish

tufffish New Member

State:
    Texas
    do they get in brush piles like crappie. i have hundreds of small cedar trees that need to be cut. i will haul them to the lake if they work. i am taking a few each trip for crappie.

16. montgomery#1

montgomery#1 New Member

State:
    ogden utah
    They do bight year round. Ive caught them under a foot of ice. They prefer places that they are shaded and have cover from larger fish. They really like docks with brush and grass around them. Youre best bet is to try and find a small secluded pool that is really thick and fish with half a worm so only the big ones will hit it. The ones the size of youre hand have probably al ready spawned so dont feel bad about keeping a limit. They reproduce so fast that it dont effect the population. Hope this helps some.