prefered river conditions

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by adam1886, Mar 31, 2008.

1. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    for those that fish on rivers,what do you find to be the best fishing? rising,lowering,high or low?

2. Jason G

Jason G New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I prefer a higher water situations my self. I have always been able to produce a steadier amount of fish then. I do not like a sudden fall or rise.

3. bluetick1897

bluetick1897 New Member

State:
    missouri
    High water is always better it seems. You can always pull a limit of channels out of flooded vegitation. It is tough to pinpoint a location in flooded water though when everthing looks good. I try to find somewhere with deepwater close by or if you can find a small ditch on your sonar the bigger fish will use that to like a highway in and out of flooded areas. The high water will sound the dinner bell.

4. adam1886

adam1886 New Member

State:
    higginsville,missouri
    thanks for the info:0a31:

5. gottagetabigun

gottagetabigun New Member

State:
    OKLAHOMA
    don't mind it on the rise but hate it on the fall. a couple of days steady water and steady weather and i can usually catch fish. one probably shouldn't waste their time when the river is falling. but i will. the best time to go is when you can.

6. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I try to avoid periods of drastic river level changes be to up or down. A slow and steady rise or fall is fine with me. Stable river levels are even better.

7. BKS72

BKS72 New Member

State:
    East of KC
    Yup, what Brad said:wink: I have a much easier time finding a pattern when the weather and water hold still for a period of time. Seems like they settle down and get into a routine when you have a few days of stable conditions. Like most, I'll take a rise over dropping water about any day.

8. chris dornbusch

chris dornbusch New Member

State:
    iowa
    I like the high water the best butt, I can find cats in shallow water too.Going out in the lowe waters helps find holesand other obstecals if you dont have sonar.IMO

9. Bigbluefisherman

Bigbluefisherman New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I am also with brad....slow rise or slow fall. Although you can't beat a steady river!

10. roughneckcatman

roughneckcatman New Member

State:
    St. Joseph, Missouri
    Yeah what Matt and Brad said!!!!!!!!!:smile2:

11. kmcalester

kmcalester New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have to say rising, that way the cats go off in the covers looking stuff that rolls back in the water. I have gooten my biggest fish 10 minutes into a rain in a cove off 210 and 291.

12. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    I think we all find a comfort zone when we learn to fish an area and find what works in whatever condition that presently exits. I learned and knew the rivers here at a low water level, where I grew up the water was low to medium as summer time presented those conditions. When the water was high I was lost but the desire to learn it under those conditions crossed my paths with a good buddy that only fishes the river when itÂ’s high. Now days I enjoy trying new things under the different conditions. I change what I fish for and where as to season, water temperature and level. If water is up past a certain point in late spring then the crappie will be in the feeder creeks. I love the rivers and change presents new opportunities. We just have to get out there, enjoy and learn through these changes.