Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner

Prefered cast net size

2K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  jdog 
#1 ·
now that I know theres no size limit on nets,what size do you like to throw?

#5 ·
First of all, be sure what size people are talking about. Some refer to the size by radius, while others by diameter. All the cast nets I've bought listed the radius on the box, rather than the diameter.
From shore, I like to throw a 5' radius net. Too much trouble with snagging the net when I use anything larger. Now, in deep open water where hanging the net up isn't a problem, a larger net is really nice, because it's harder for the bait to swim out from under the net. Another way to prevent that is to buy a more expensive net with more leads per foot than a cheap net; but, you have to really watch those in shallow, snaggy or rocky areas. I buy the cheapest nets possible, because I'm almost always throwing in fairly shallow water over riprap, and the life expectancy of a net is pretty short.

#6 ·
I started out last year with a 5' mono net. Threw it really well, but kept snagging it and repairing it. Next I bought a 6' nylon net, really like this net, throws great, a little heavier than the mono when wet, but opens nice and doesn't tear as easily. Just before christmas I came across an 8' mono net that I bought really cheap. Haven't thrown it yet but think I will like it, specially for open water situations. Boog

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.